Senior Analyst, Public Policy
The Economist Group’s Public Policy and Thought Leadership division specialises in delivering bespoke client solutions that leverage both The Economist and The Economist Intelligence Unit’s expertise and reach. We deliver research and engagement programmes that use evidence and data to drive change on the critical economic and public policy issues facing our world. Our clients include government bodies, international organisations and corporates, and we provide evidence, insights and advice to shape their policies and programmes.
Our Public Policy and Thought Leadership division in the US is looking for a Senior Analyst to work within an internationally-focused and diverse team. The successful candidate will support our consulting projects and help to deliver bespoke research with strong public policy and thought leadership components.
How you will contribute:
- Prepare and deliver research inputs for client consulting projects, including literature reviews, interviews, benchmarking, data collection, interpretation, analysis and presentations
- Deliver excellent project results across policy analysis, scenario planning, political and economic analysis, and risk assessments.
- Research, understand and interpret regulations so as to support cross-country policy analysis.
- Develop methods and approaches for research that will help to scale up the Public Policy and Thought Leadership business and ensure consistent quality of output
- Work with senior staff and project managers to deliver projects to strict deadlines and within budget, ensuring achievement of agreed revenue and contribution targets for their own projects
- Work with colleagues around the world to prepare scoping documents and proposals for potential clients, helping to interpret their research requirements
- Maintain effective relationships with other parts of the Economist Group
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The desirable skills for this role include:
- Three to fours years previous experience in a role related to policy or economic analysis and fulfilling client projects; ability to conduct literature reviews and other background research, organize and analyze data, and write up findings clearly and concisely
- Graduate/Post-Graduate in Social Sciences, Economics, Government Affairs, Public Policy or International Relations, or Statistics
- Knowledge: A strong understanding of macroeconomic and demographic concepts; strong numeracy and data analysis skills, and familiarity with legislative/regulatory concepts; interest and some familiarity with a range of public policy sectors, including development economics, sustainability, trade, technology, and finance, etc
- IT and Communications: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel; excellent communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Fluency in additional languages highly desirable
- Personal attributes: Must have an excellent eye for detail; must be able to remain calm during periods of high workload
You will be able to demonstrate:
- An understanding of basic public policy and development economics concepts, such as regulation, legislative issues and advocacy
- Strong data organization, analysis and interpretation skills
- An ability to distill research findings into clear, concise, engaging and jargon-free reports
- An ability to produce highly professional, interesting and attractive PPT slide decks for proposals and as client deliverables
Job posted: 2021-09-13