Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Associate or Associate, Executive Communications
If you are the person everybody runs to when they need something written creatively, clearly, and quickly; if you see storytelling and messaging as important ways to contribute to causes you believe in; and if you enjoy the challenge of translating complex ideas into compelling language in order to advance an argument, then we should talk.
We’re SKDK, the public affairs and political communications firm honored repeatedly as our industry’s agency of the year, and we’re looking for a talented wordsmith to join our Executive Communications team. Our team of writers and coaches create sharp messages and smart narratives, craft polished speeches, and conduct intensive media trainings to help leaders of progressive causes, Democratic campaigns, and leading businesses shape and share their ideas. We’ve partnered with high-profile speakers communicating from the White House and World Economic Forum, on “60 Minutes” and “The Daily Show,” and in cover stories and opinion pieces published around the globe.
As a key part of our team, you’ll collaborate closely with our colleagues and clients – including elected officials and candidates; philanthropists and foundation heads; advocates for cases before the Supreme Court and causes like racial justice, clean energy, global health, and economic fairness; and executives steering major American brands and innovative startups. You’ll get the pen on speeches and op-eds, draft messaging about newsworthy issues, and prepare and participate in on-camera coaching sessions. And as a member of the SKDK family, you’ll be part of an award-winning, full-service public affairs firm filled with passionate communicators who take pride in our work – which includes helping elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
SKDK is made whole by the diversity of our team. We are a firm that invites and celebrates the uniqueness of each member of our team and encourages individuals to bring their best selves into the workplace. Whether it is through participation in one of our Employee Resource Groups, serving on our DEI Council, opportunities to volunteer, or bringing a new perspective to client work, your individuality and experience matters.
Job responsibilities include:
- Writing creatively and precisely in a range of long-form formats, including speeches, op-eds, organizational narratives, memos, and proposals.
- Researching persuasive and interesting content that makes clients’ communications concrete and memorable.
- Assessing clients’ existing communications strategy, tactics, and writing.
- Digesting qualitative and quantitative message research and making recommendations on tone and content.
- Learning new material quickly and communicating complex subject matter in clear and compelling language.
- Editing and copyediting written materials to align with message imperatives, tone, clarity, and AP Style.
- Preparing media training materials and coaching clients during training sessions.
A successful candidate will have:
- One to four years of relevant writing or messaging experience in organizations such as political campaigns, government, issue advocacy groups, media, public affairs agencies, or similar.
- A portfolio of writing that demonstrates strong writing and research skills.
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities while working on multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and internal communications skills.
- Attention to detail.
What we offer:
SKDK provides a generous benefits package including 100% coverage for health, vision, and dental insurance premiums; paid parental leave; time off including vacation, holidays, and sick time; 401(k) with an employer contribution, reimbursement for cellular service, public transportation benefits, and additional benefits.
SKDK believes in the growth and development of all our employees and therefore we offer:
Professional development and career guidance
Opportunities for advancement
Participation in Employee Resource Groups
A collegial and supportive office environment
Employment at SKDK is contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference check, and compliance with SKDK’s COVID-19 policy. SKDK requires all employees to show proof of full vaccination, as defined by the CDC, prior to the beginning of their employment. Applicants who believe they need an accommodation of this policy because of a medical exemption or sincerely-held religious belief should inform the Director of Human Resources after an offer of employment is extended; please do not include any medical, genetic, or religious information on your application materials.
SKDK is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any protected category.
Job posted: 2022-06-21