Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Associate, Civil Service and Policy Affairs
Job Announcement: Senior Associate, Civil Service and Policy Affairs
Convergence Center for Policy Resolution (Convergence), the leading nonprofit organization solving national issues through bridging divides and managing collaborative dialogues, seeks a Senior Associate for Civil Service and Policy Affairs to join our growing team, supporting two primary streams of work: 1) a Roundtable on Modernizing Civil Service, and 2) our Policy Affairs work relating to Congress and other national policy groups and entities.
Reporting to the Director for Civil Service, and working with other Convergence programmatic, development, communications and operations staff, the Senior Associate will manage communications with Roundtable participants and stakeholders, help Convergence stay abreast of breaking policy and political developments, and create strong working relationships with colleague organizations working on bridge-building and democracy issues.
Civil Service Modernization Roundtable
- Assist in setting up and executing regular convenings (virtual, hybrid, possibly in-person in the future) with Roundtable participants, including managing invitations, capturing notes, and individual and group follow up.
- Synthesize themes from Roundtable sessions and support participants with additional research and materials as appropriate.
- Assist in other design and implementation aspects, including stakeholder recruitment for working groups and special sessions, issue framing, and external communication and connection opportunities.
- Help create and track metrics of success.
- Actively collaborate across Convergence teams to capture and translate impact of Roundtable work through communications, development, and operations.
- Support relationships with the leadership and Members of the House Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress (SCMC) and the Bipartisan Working Group (BPWG).
- Engage and educate public officials about Convergence Dialogues, from the assessment and dialogue stages and through the participant-generated consensus outputs.
- Track legislative and regulatory activity related to Convergence’s past, current and prospective Convergence projects and priority areas.
- Raise Convergence’s visibility within the DC policy community.
- Advance the value of bridging, and support bipartisan collaboration among Members, Committees and the broader policymaker community.
Additional Duties and Overall Organizational Collaboration
- Support Convergence’s work in organizing and strengthening the bridge building field, including through the Bridging Movement Alignment Council (BMAC).
- Work with communications to tell stories about the impact of bridging work and the bridge building field at all levels and across different kinds of groups.
- Help keep Convergence supporters and leaders updated on the Convergence work that is relevant to them.
- Make presentations at and help support Convergence Leadership Council meetings.
- Contribute to cross-functional strategic and brainstorming opportunities and activities.
- Supervise and mentor interns as needed.
- Provide surge capacity for events or large scale cross organizational efforts.
- The Senior Associate may also help research and develop new Convergence projects over time. Current possibilities include topics related to climate change, higher education, and US-China relations.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s Degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Minimum of 3–5 years of experience on Capitol Hill (preferred), at a government affairs firm, or public policy focused non-profit, with progressively increasing levels of responsibility, of which at least 2–3 years are relevant or transferable experience.
- Knowledge of Capitol Hill culture and how to work well with Congressional Staff. Bipartisan experience a plus.
- A deep commitment to collaborative problem solving and consensus building across ideological divides. An understanding that good ideas do not come from only one side of the political spectrum.
- Broad policy knowledge and understanding of the Washington, DC community, including interest groups, think tanks, and thought leaders.
- Strong political instincts.
- Proven track record of working with ideologically diverse constituencies.
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Outstanding project management and organizational abilities.
- Sense of humor, flexibility, resourcefulness, and collaborative work ethic.
- Salary depends on experience, with a target range of $55,000-65,000 per year.
- Convergence offers a full benefits package (including health insurance and retirement) and generous paid leave.
- The majority of Convergence staff are concentrated in two hubs - one around Washington, DC and the other in the San Francisco Bay Area. All staff are working remotely for the time being with hybrid office/remote workspace possible in the future.
- This role will require candidates to be in the Washington, DC metro area. Some travel to/between workplace hubs required.
Founded in 2009, Convergence is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that convenes people and groups with divergent views to build trust, identify solutions, and form alliances for action on critical national issues. We achieve this through structured, facilitated dialogue and long-term relationship building. Through proactive, nonpartisan engagement of influential individuals and organizations, we create new pathways that move our country and society forward. Our work demonstrates that trust, civility, and compromise can shift the focus from winning the debate to collectively seeking solutions. Current dialogues are focused on guns & suicide prevention, recovery for America’s workers, digital disinformation, care for older adults, and modernizing the civil service. For more information about Convergence, visit: www.convergencepolicy.org.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Associate, Civil Service and Policy Affairs” in the subject line. Applications should include: (1) a resume, (2) a tailored cover letter describing your relevant experience and specific interest in this position, and (3) a writing sample. Please indicate where you saw the job announcement in the body of your email. Position available immediately. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Convergence values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Convergence is an equal opportunity employer. Hiring decisions are made without consideration of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Job posted: 2022-04-19