Senior Associate Director, State Government Affairs
Direct the ANA State Government Affairs Program by developing ANA strategy and engagement on state legislative threats and opportunities; offering leadership, coaching, coordination, expertise, and resources to ANA’s C/SNAs and ANA’s leadership and staff; identifying trends between state and federal issues; and engaging other Enterprise departments and forging relationships with external stakeholders to advance ANA’s advocacy agenda.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Analyze state legislative and regulatory trends and issues in the health policy and nursing arenas and the political climate for potential impact for the C/SNAs.
- Formulate possible advocacy strategies in collaboration with the C/SNAs that recognize variable political climates
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships and contacts with ANA staff and C/SNA staff, leadership, government affairs staff, and lobbyists. Identify potential partners and work in coalition with representatives from other health care and related organizations to strengthen the voice of nursing and advance the C/SNA’s – ANA’s strategic legislative goals.
- Contribute knowledge and experience through authorship of fact sheets, reports, testimony, articles, and online content along with representing ANA at speaking engagements, coaching & mentoring members and external meetings. \
- Perform other work as assigned, including support of the structural work of the association, the Membership Assembly, and other programs.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ANA
- Masters’ degree in Nursing, Health Policy, Political Science, or related field.
- Ten years of relevant experience with increasing responsibility and accountability in a state legislative or congressional office, state agency, or government relations department of a health care organization or association.
- Broad working knowledge of and experience in the fields of health policy, government operations and the legislative and political processes essential.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking, and the ability to develop written reports, draft testimony and regulatory comments, and other documents of a technical nature.
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Discretion, tact and the ability to function as part of a team
- Flexibility in work schedule to accommodate occasional evening or weekend work meetings and periodic travel
- Ability to:
- Analyze complex issues and legislation
- Conduct comprehensive environmental scans, develop strategy, and offer strategic advice and counsel on state legislative matters to ANA and CSNA leadership, staff, and members
- Direct, prioritize and complete multiple, complex projects
- Relates easily to diverse individuals and groups, lead coalitions and foster consensus
About the American Nurses Association (ANA)
Founded in 1896, The ANA Enterprise is the family of non-profit companies that comprise the American Nurses Association: the American Nurses Association (ANA), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), and the American Nurses Foundation. The ANA Enterprise leverages the combined strength of each to drive excellence in practice and ensure nurses’ voices and vision are recognized by policy leaders, industry influencers, and employers. From professional development and advocacy to credentialing and grants, the ANA Enterprise is the leading resource for nurses to equip themselves with the tools, information, and network they need to excel in their individual practices. In helping individual nurses succeed — across all practices and specialties, and at each stage of their careers — the ANA Enterprise is lighting the way for the entire profession to succeed.
*The above job description describes the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position nor a listing of the characteristics of the individual performing the job.
The ANA is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-21