Senior Associate, External Affairs
The Pew Charitable Trusts uses data to make a difference. For more than 70 years, we have focused on serving the public, invigorating civic life, conducting nonpartisan research, advancing effective public policies and practices, and achieving tangible results. Through rigorous inquiry and knowledge sharing, we inform and engage public-spirited citizens and organizations, linking diverse interests to pursue common cause. We are a dedicated team of researchers, communicators, advocates, subject matter experts, and professionals working on some of today’s big challenges – and we know we are more effective and creative collectively than we are individually. With Philadelphia as our hometown and the majority of our staff located in Washington, DC, our U.S. and international staff find working at Pew personally and professionally rewarding.
Wise stewardship of resources allows Pew employees to pursue work that strategically furthers our mission in significant and measurable ways. We collaborate with a diverse range of philanthropic partners, public and private organizations, and concerned citizens who share our interest in fact-based solutions and goal-driven initiatives to improve society. Pew attracts top talent, people of integrity who are service-oriented and willing to take on challenging assignments. We provide competitive pay and benefits, a healthy work-life balance, and a respectful and inclusive workplace. Pew employees are proud of their colleagues, proud of where they work, and proud of the institution’s reputation.
The External Affairs division is responsible for setting and guiding Pew’s approach to communications, policy, and partnerships with other nonprofits, governmental agencies, and philanthropic funders. Through three departments (Communications, Government Relations, and Partnerships) the division is integral to the success of Pew’s programmatic teams and their outcomes, responsible for collaboration with outside partners and ensuring that Pew’s work is communicated effectively to the public and to decision makers. The division is also responsible for safeguarding Pew’s trusted brand and reputation, ensuring that Pew is well positioned among external layers in the programmatic areas in which it operates and is responsive to trends in the landscape. The division works closely with leadership across the organization as the external influence partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
The senior associate is a member of the operations team within the External Affairs division. She/he reports directly to the director, operations, assisting with the coordination of business related activities across the External Affairs division including contract development, vendor communication, expense tracking and data analysis.
- Serves as a functional point of contact with Pew’s Finance team and outside vendors to coordinate and track business-related issues for the External Affairs division.
- Provides guidance to External Affairs staff regarding contract development and management, including the development of scopes of work and project budgets.
- Serves as a liaison to the central procurement division and coordinates the intake process for all agreements, prioritizes contract submissions, and provides quality control for contract documents.
- Disseminates information regarding the contract process in support of the activities of the central procurement division and finance departments, and offers trainings for External Affairs staff, as appropriate.
- Gathers, analyzes, reports, and maintains data, information, and operational metrics from a variety of sources. Contributes to regular analysis on External Affairs spending patterns and/or trends that help identify cost saving opportunities and time efficiencies.
- Reviews and makes recommendations regarding the development of business processes for the External Affairs operations team to improve time efficiencies, cost control and reduce risks.
- Supports other operational tasks and projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- A minimum of four years of professional experience working in a business or non-profit operations function required.
- Experience in procurement and contract processes.
- Strong strategic, analytical and problem-solving skills. A strong commitment to producing measurable results.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills, including the ability to productively work with a wide array of internal colleagues and external vendors, while exercising sound judgement.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to provide accurate information in a timely manner. Ability to prioritize tasks effectively to meet multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal guidance.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of software (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and the ability to learn technology used at Pew, including Salesforce and PeopleSoft, if not already familiar.
Minimal travel anticipated.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit program, including: comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using health savings and flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to maintain a good balance.
The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-18