Senior Associate, Global Policy & Advocacy
1,000 Days is seeking a Global Policy & Advocacy Senior Associate to advance the organization’s multifaceted advocacy efforts to drive greater action and investment in global nutrition. The Associate will play a fundamental role in liaising and interfacing with a wide range of global advocacy partners and stakeholders in support of our efforts to increase donor funding and policy commitments for global nutrition.
In particular, the Senior Associate will be principally responsible for coordinating the International Coalition for Advocacy on Nutrition (ICAN), a coalition of advocates from around the world focused on mobilizing donor resources for nutrition to combat malnutrition and achieve the global nutrition targets. 1,000 Days serves as the Secretariat for this dynamic coalition of over 50 partner organizations in more than 15 countries. The ideal candidate for this role is someone who: can work with a diverse range of stakeholders; balance multiple interests in an effort to achieve a common position; engage in complex advocacy discussions; and identify and plan for high impact advocacy opportunities. The person filling this role will work closely with 1,000 Days’ Manager of Global Policy and Advocacy to execute the ICAN agenda.
The Senior Associate will also support 1,000 Days global breastfeeding advocacy efforts, including representing the organization within the Global Breastfeeding Collective and other coalitions. In addition, the Senior Associate will support analysis and research on global nutrition policy issues.
The ideal candidate will have strong project management skills, excellent judgment, a naturally collaborative style and an ability to be responsive to and manage multiple requests and deadlines.
This a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Senior Director of Global Policy and Advocacy.
- Coordinate the International Coalition for Advocacy on Nutrition, comprised of advocates and partners throughout the world, under the direction of the Senior Director and Manager of Global Policy and Advocacy. Support ICAN partner efforts to advocate for increased resources for nutrition from donors and high burden countries.
- Participate in relevant coalitions and working groups to advance the organization’s advocacy goals and build relationships with advocates in other issue areas, with a particular focus on those related to global breastfeeding.
- Research and prepare policy briefs, fact sheets, letters and other communication tools for 1,000 Days, its partners and advocates to use in global policy fora and events and to educate policymakers in the U.S. and other key markets.
- Track key moments and events that present important advocacy opportunities and help coordinate the organization’s and partners’ participation.
- Plan, coordinate, and lead regular meetings of relevant stakeholders, including developing and managing the agendas, briefing materials, notes, etc.
- Partner with the 1,000 Days communications team on opportunities for advancing the narrative related to global nutrition and help develop compelling messaging and materials for use on 1,000 Days’ media channels.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field of study.
- 3-4 years of experience with an advocacy or policy organization. Experience working on issues related to international development is a plus!
- Experience working with coalitions. A high degree of emotional intelligence, with experience in engaging diverse constituencies towards a common goal, negotiations, resolving disagreements, and providing actionable and strategic agendas and thoughtful paths forward.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;; proven ability to translate technical content into compelling communication materials for policy audiences.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage complex work streams.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team, multi-ˇtask, set priorities, adapt to change, and solve problems in a dynamic, high-ˇperforming work environment.
- Highly adept in using Microsoft Office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Success in this role requires an ability to balance multiple projects, shift priorities to meet tight deadlines, and complete tasks efficiently and with accuracy. Overall, this position requires an individual who excels at working both independently and as part of a team. A collaborative and good-natured attitude is a must.
ABOUT 1,000 DAYS
1,000 Days leads the fight to give mothers and babies in the U.S. and around the world the nutrition they need to thrive. We work with global leaders and grassroots communities of parents to make the 1,000 days between a woman’s pregnancy and her child’s 2nd birthday a window of opportunity to build healthier, brighter futures.
HOW TO APPLY
- Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put “Senior Associate, Global Policy and Advocacy” in the subject line
- Due to the expected volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted – No phone calls please
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
1,000 Days is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Job posted: 2019-02-26