Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Associate, Governmental Affairs
APLU seeks a Senior Associate to support the Office of Governmental Affairs (OGA) and its work with government relations officers of member institutions through the Council on Governmental Affairs (CGA). The Senior Associate, Governmental Affairs, provides a full range of moderate to complex administrative support to the office, including events planning, meeting and office budget management, strategy on developing and maintaining robust contact lists & databases, developing agendas and proactively driving CGA administrative processes in coordination with council leadership and supervisor. The CGA is a very active group of government relations professionals in all 50 states that works together to achieve common advocacy priorities of public research universities. This position is a critical role in helping facilitate communications and events that makes the work of OGA and the CGA possible. In addition to working with the CGA, the position will administratively manage an Advisory Group of University General Counsels that meets monthly. The group advises APLU on policy matters, both federal and institution-level, and discusses amongst themselves the opportunities, challenges, and best practices within the profession. This full-time position is based in Washington, DC. Employees of APLU are eligible to telework at least two days per week. They must reside in DC, MD, or VA, be up-to-date with their COVID vaccinations and pass standard background checks. For more information, consult www.aplu.org.
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 250 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU’s agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 5.0 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $49.5 billion in university-based research.
The Senior Associate, Governmental Affairs will have a number of administrative and support responsibilities including, but not limited to, the following:
- Ensure CGA contact lists are current and complete including primary CGA list, Ad Hoc Taskforce on State Relations, and 22 other teams/taskforces. Track CGA engagement and reporting in event and member databases
- Coordinate onboarding of new members of the CGA, including drafting relevant materials as appropriate.
- Coordinate CGA processes for developing agendas for Executive Committee (meets at least five times a year), full CGA monthly zoom calls, four in-person CGA meetings, and robust ad hoc activity of various teams and taskforces.
- Coordinate logistical aspects of conferences and meetings (both virtual and in-person) including scheduling events, organizing planning committees, coordinating hotel contracts, managing catering and room set-up, speaker logistics, drafting/compiling/disseminating meeting materials, coordinating technology, evaluations, etc. Coordinate meeting budgets and prepare financial reports.
- In partnership with Council leadership and supervisor, coordinate relationships with CGA meeting sponsors, tracking support, and facilitating their engagement.
- Track budgets and departmental expenses.
- Draft, edit and circulate correspondence with constituents via our online marketing tool (Marketo) and e-mail as requested. Transmit correspondence to Congress.
- Draft content for and transmit electronic newsletters and announcements (~2-3 per week).
- Serve as frontline assistance for members of the CGA and the Ad Hoc Advisory Group of General Counsels as it relates to meetings and events.
- Participate as an integral member of the GA Team and APLU, and contribute to an inclusive, welcoming, and collegial workplace.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- 3+ years of experience in an administrative position and aspirations to grow in an administrative role.
- Impeccable attention to detail and pride in quality of work.
- Experience planning and coordinating all aspects of events both virtually and in person.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Proven ability to write and edit for multiple audiences and types of communication materials.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to navigate relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds and at all levels.
- Reliable, self-starter with demonstrated organizational and planning skills. Able to balance multiple, complex tasks and priorities, resolve problems, meet deadlines, and recognize potential issues and bring them to the attention of the appropriate team members.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as part of a team and independently, including taking direction from and communicating with multiple team members to keep track of activities and priorities on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Experienced and skilled in the use of Microsoft office products and web-based research information tools. Experience using a customer relations management (CRM) system and databases. Comfort using and learning new technologies.
- Strong commitment to advancing higher education initiatives.
- Ability to travel domestically as needed.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of GA Associate. Applications will be reviewed as received and continue until the position is filled. APLU is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment, and supports staff with a generous benefits package.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment and promoting a sense of belonging, which includes recruiting, employing, training, compensating, and promoting staff regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Job posted: 2022-09-11