Senior Associate, Governmental Affairs Analyst
A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It’s a career journey you can be proud of, and you’ll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation. It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
This position provides high level support to NY and Albany-based state government relations attorneys, as well as support to the Office of Governmental Affairs’ federal lobbying team on select substantive issues. The position provides back up knowledge on assigned issues and requires high level and independent interaction with management, Office of Governmental Affairs’ attorneys, other company personnel and industry peers. Excellent people skills are essential, as well as the ability to function in a fast-paced environment.
- Gather information and perform complex level research on legislative and regulatory proposals of interest to the Company, using tools such as trade association websites and personnel, Department of Insurance and state legislative websites, StateNet, Factiva and other research engines;
- Analyze complex legislative and regulatory proposals, and on select basis draft memoranda for Office of Governmental Affairs’ professional staff and other New York Life departments regarding legislative, Department of Insurance and National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) activity Communicate with state and national trade association staff for purposes of gathering information on legislative and regulatory issues.
- Stay abreast of state legislative, regulatory, National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), industry and political developments in order to support state and federal government relations attorneys. As appropriate, attend NAIC and state and national trade association meetings to follow developments on assigned issues and provide updates to OGA attorneys and business units.
- Cover state trade association calls and meetings as needed.
- 3 to 5 years of similar experience in a legislative/regulatory or governmental affairs environment preferred. Bachelor’s degree required
- Possess a high level of independent judgment.
- Ability to prioritize issues and communicate relevant information with appropriate sense of urgency. Ability to organize work flow and exercise good judgment.
- Knowledge and proficient use of research tools including State Net, state legislative websites and general research tools such as Factiva and/or Westlaw/Lexus is required. Working knowledge of Word, Excel, Lotus Notes and Internet.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational and business savvy, with proven ability to interact with and influence employees across an organization
- Collaborative team player
- Ability to navigate a complex organization.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Job posted: 2020-05-22