Senior Associate, Grassroots Advocacy
Consistent with the mission, vision and values of National League of Cities, develop and implement action-oriented grassroots advocacy strategies in support of NLC’s policy agenda.
- Program Development & Deployment
- Responsible for development and execution of programs, initiatives, and campaigns to grow advocacy networks in alignment with the overall federal policy priorities. Remain aware of current NLC strategies to align work with organizational goals.
- Prepare and deliver presentations and briefings to city officials, state leagues, and other groups on NLC federal advocacy priorities and activities.
- Receive and respond to advocacy-related inquiries and requests from NLC member cities, state municipal leagues, and other interested parties in a prompt and informed manner. Track inquiries and requests in contact management databases. **
- Work closely with membership team to define new member targets to include in grassroots engagement and advocacy efforts.
- Maintain tracking systems for advocacy activities to track effectiveness of member engagement including actions taken, and define opportunities for improvement, analyze data and report out effective actions, tools, membership engagement opportunities.
- Program Communications & Education
- Coordinate the development of newsletters, advocacy tool-kits social media content, and other communications to build awareness of and support for advocacy campaigns.
- Identify appropriate audiences for communications; oversee the delivery of pieces through the appropriate channels to reach the intended audience. Devise and implement strategies to grow the audience of readers for delivered content.
- Maintain the advocacy section of NLC’s website in collaboration with communications and marketing. Ensure advocacy resources are accessible, engaging, up-to-date and reflective of current advocacy activities.
- In partnership with NLC’s communications liaison, provide support to legislative staff in the preparation of publications and materials, including articles for electronic newsletters, action alerts, and other federal advocacy communications.
- Policy Analysis
- Monitor and track the status of federal legislative and regulatory policy with the potential to impact member cities in collaboration with the Advocacy Manager. Review policy drafts and assess the possible impact of legislation on local governments to determine advocacy strategy.
- Networks & Events
- Create and conduct training opportunities for city officials.
- Develop advocacy tool-kits for member use to support legislative efforts
- Develop and implement advocacy events, including member fly-ins, in support of the advocacy efforts. Track the participation of advocates in NLC activities.
- Prepare and deliver presentations and briefings to city officials, state municipal leagues, and other groups on NLC federal advocacy priorities and activities.
- Provide direction to ad-hoc networks of state municipal leagues and city leaders in support of NLC advocacy priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required in public policy, public affairs, communications, or a related field
- 4 years of relevant experience in writing, editing, publishing, or related activities
- Experience with association or membership organization preferred
- MS Office skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer databases and contact management systems (CRMs)
- Experience working with city officials and/or city governments preferred
Work is typically performed in a standard office setting working at a desk or table on a level surface. This position requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs. Some travel is expected to attend meetings, activities, and events. May be required to work more hours than normal during a regular workweek depending on workload and deadline requirements.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-04-11