Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Associate, Programs
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $65,000
Girl Up is a girl-centered leadership development initiative, focusing on equity for girls and women in spaces where they are unheard or underrepresented. We believe when girls and women are in positions of influence, they work to create a more just and equitable world for everyone.
Girl Up operates a global network of regional affiliates and serves 200,000 girls in 152 countries. As part of Girl Up’s global network, Girl Up USA delivers evidence-based leadership development training through our girl-led Clubs, programs, and events across the United States. As members of a global movement, girls are a force for social good — connected to a community of their peers who are advocating for policy change and advancing gender justice.
The core values on which Girl Up exists guide our team and our work. Girl Up is a Youth-Centered leadership development initiative working to achieve gender equity worldwide. We commit to supporting our young leaders in their Passionate Action for social change and seek feedback from our Global Community to ensure Accountability in maintaining our values.
Girl Up was founded by the United Nations Foundation in 2010. The United Nations Foundation is an independent charitable organization created to be a strategic partner for the United Nations to address humanity’s greatest challenges, build initiatives across sectors to solve problems at scale, and drive global progress.
The Senior Associate, Programs, Girl Up USA will be instrumental in the development and ongoing support of Girl Up USA Teen Advisory Board and Coalitions, as well as ensure the maintenance of USA Clubs and actions. This role will help develop, support, expand and strengthen Girl Up’s youth leaders across the U.S.
The Senior Associate, Programs, Girl Up USA will report to the Director, Girl Up USA, and be a member of the new Girl Up USA team. The Senior Associate, Programs will collaborate across Girl Up headquarters, including with the Global Programs, Development, Communications, and Global Operations departments.
This position is based in Washington, DC or U.S. remote.
- Develop and coordinate all aspects of the Girl Up USA Teen Advisory Board and Coalitions program including application process, program design, meeting planning and logistics, mentorship, staff engagement, partnerships, and more.
- Contribute to the development and design of program structure, curriculum, and success measurements of USA Clubs.
- Train, support, and serve as main point of contact for Girl Up USA youth leaders including USA Teen Advisors, Coalition Leaders, and Clubs, and coordinate their engagement with other community members and staff.
- Monitor Teen Advisor and Coalitions communications email and chat group (WhatsApp, Slack, or text) as well as existing Facebook Groups.
- Develop and refine processes and best practices of USA Teen Advisors, Coalitions, and Clubs to measure success.
- Coordinate monthly meetings, reports, and other events engaging youth leaders.
- Facilitate youth representation and meaningful engagement.
- Support team with member recruitment for in-person and virtual events.
- Identify Teen Advisors and alumni to highlight on social media and other platforms.
- Liaise across departments to ensure youth engagement opportunities and programming seamlessly feed into Girl Up Global’s organization-wide strategy.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of Girl Up’s global best practices and programmatic guidelines to ensure adherence across USA programs.
- Participate in internal working groups and committees.
- Support major events, including Girl Up’s Global Leadership Summit and the Girl Up USA Leadership Summit, and other in-person or virtual trainings.
- Update weekly, monthly, and quarterly program metrics and maintain accurate USA Teen Advisors, Coalitions, and Clubs rosters for analysis and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3-4 years of work experience in supporting program management in relevant fields, such as gender equality, or youth engagement.
- Commitment to Girl Up’s mission and core values.
- Experience working with American youth.
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
- Experience working with and for young people, including those from diverse backgrounds, on social change-focused campaigns, programs, or initiatives.
- Experience with ways of working that center and empower marginalized advocates and youth preferred.
- Experience in event, and preferably conference, logistics, and coordination (in-person and virtual) in international settings preferred.
- Robust project administration skills, including attention to detail, and a track record of consistently delivering high-quality work.
- Ability to work independently with minimal close management while consistently sharing progress and asking for support as needed with supervisor and team.
- Knowledgeable about adolescent girl issues and rights preferred.
- Commitment to fostering an anti-racist and inclusive workplace.
- Experience working with diverse and multi-cultural populations preferred.
- Experience and demonstrated interest in youth leadership development.
- Excellent customer service skills with a passion for member engagement.
- Experience in Excel, Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Asana, Canva and Outlook preferred.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Willing to travel up to 30% of time.
- Flexible schedule with an ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Ability to meet regular attendance / tardiness policy.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, U.S. benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
Job posted: 2023-09-15