Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Associate for Public Affairs
Are you interested in joining an organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy?
The Assistant Director of Public Affairs (ADPA) will be a key member of a seven-person team responsible for engaging leadership, donorship and supportership in a specific geographic area. The ADPA works with J Street leaders and volunteers to build relationships with, educate and promote our legislative priorities to Members of Congress (MOCs).
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with the Public Affairs team, the Engagement team and J Street U team to create a comprehensive tactical plan for moving target MOCs and congressional candidates to more aligned positions;
- Recruiting, cultivating and deepening a network of leaders around target MOCs and their local offices;
- Activating J Street advocacy leaders to promptly contact their respective MOCs regarding specific legislation;
- Training leaders and student leaders in best advocacy tactics;
- Facilitating constituents/leaders/student leaders meeting with MOCs and candidates in key political races;
- Assisting team members with achieving advocacy goals through political fundraisers;
- Owning responsibility for active, smooth, and effective participation in Summit and Conference Advocacy meetings by as many leaders and supporters as possible; and
- Ensuring data is correctly stored in organizational databases;
Desired Skills and Characteristics
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Mission Alignment: A strong commitment to J Street’s mission, including: support for a secure, Jewish and democratic future for Israel, and advocating an active U.S. leadership role to help end the Israeli occupation and achieve a two-state solution;
- Political and Legislative Familiarity: An understanding of the political landscape, relevant policy, and the legislative process;
- Relevant Experience: 4 plus years experience in a relevant field such as issue advocacy, volunteer management, and/or political organizing, among others.
- Highly organized: Detail-oriented, able to prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and work independently;
- Collaborative and Relational: Ability to work across departments within the organization, with multiple team leaders, and a variety of supporters and leaders.
The salary range for this full-time position is $54,500-$60,000 depending on experience. Our comprehensive benefits package includes paid vacation and sick leave, personal leave, generous parental and family leave, paid time off on many federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company-paid life insurance, a 401k program including an employer match, commuter benefits, and a flexible spending account.
J Street recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in J Street’s bargaining unit and is covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. J Street will make reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is potentially some travel associated with the role but this can be discussed if the physical demands of travel would prevent someone from applying.
We are excited to receive applications from a broad range of applicants as we grow our organization to better reflect the diversity of the communities that care about our mission. Please submit the items listed below:
- Cover Letter that explains why you are interested and qualified
- List of Three References
This position is available January 3, 2022 in multiple locations. Applications are being accepted now and the position will be filled as quickly as possible.
At J Street we value an inclusive, welcoming, and diverse workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to understanding and valuing each other’s perspectives at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our employees, and the communities we work with. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment and fellowship, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Job posted: 2022-01-05