Senior Associate, State and Local Government Affairs
Senior Associate, State and Local Government AffairsThe Government & Policy Affairs Group (GPAG) is Capital One’s voice in the legislative and political processes. GPAG manages Capital One’s relationship with elected officials at the local, state, and federal levels and participates in the policy making process. The team provides support to all of Capital One’s lines of business and staff groups in our markets. Capital One is seeking a talented and energetic Senior Associate to lead Capital One’s government relations engagement strategy in Louisiana, which is a primary operational market for the company. This individual will monitor and report enacted legislation and regulations in additional assigned states in a timely manner as part of the company’s end to end compliance process.
- Provide support to State and Local Team lobbyists in our major operational market states
- Secondary liaison to Democratic Mayors Association
- Build relationships with elected officials at the state and local levels. (Governor, AG, state legislators, mayors, city council, etc.)
- Analyze legislation, determine and communicate positions to key audiences
- Represent the Company at events, legislative sessions, and conferences in assigned states or in other locations as needed
- Build relationships with and provide support / advice to Capital One executives in markets
- Serve as GPAG liaison to Louisiana Market President Network (MPN)
- Organize and execute special events at Capital One facilities to increase associate awareness and engagement on Government & Policy Affairs Group’s (GPAG) work
- Serve on the Contributions Committee, suggest appropriate contributions to candidates
- Represent GPAG on ad-hoc special project teams impacting jurisdictions of responsibility or internal constituencies / lines of business
- Manage outside counsel and trade association relationships in assigned states or subject matter areas, e.g. state bankers associations, legislative organizations including National Conference of State Legislators, National Black Caucus of State Legislators, National Foundation for Women Legislators
- Partner with counterparts in External Affairs, Legal, and line of business leaders in assigned states
- Travel as needed, ability to attend events before and after normal business hours
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience in public policy work at either the state or local level working for an elected official, government agency, trade association, company or a combination including experience in government affairs or political campaigns
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy, or Economics
- 4+ years of experience in public policy work at either the state or local level working for an elected official, government agency, trade association, company or a combination including experience in government affairs or political campaigns.
- Project management experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Who We Are
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-23