Senior Attorney- Public Affairs and Patient Support Programs
About the Department
Legal and Corporate Affairs (LCA) is comprised of three distinct yet synergistic functions: Legal; Communications; and Corporate Sustainability & Social Impact. We depend on our LCA team to help drive growth and maintain the highest level of standards and practices across all of our legal, communications and corporate social responsibility and sustainability efforts. It’s a tall order, which is why we only hire those who thrive on protecting the interests of our patients, employees and business, all while creating and implementing efficient and innovative solutions. As part of the team, you’ll work with employees across the organization to oversee legal matters and provide guidance on communications and strategies that drive business and policy priorities and shape the reputation of Novo Nordisk Inc. (NNI). At Novo Nordisk, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. In exchange, we’ll offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent and benefit from a range of possibilities for professional and personal development. Are you ready to realize your potential?
Provide legal counsel to global healthcare company on relevant issues involving application of U.S. law, regulations, and industry standards.
Reports to Senior Director, Legal and Corporate Affairs/Senior Corporate Counsel. Acts as counsel for particular customer group(s) (including Public Affairs and Patient Support Programs Center of Excellence (COE)) and other supporting business functions and interacts with global headquarters and other affiliates as needed. Regularly collaborates with other attorneys and compliance professionals. May interact with government agencies, law firms, trade organizations and other external agencies.
- Will be integral member of the legal team responsible for providing overall legal support to the Market Access and Public Affairs Department, the pricing strategy and contracting functions, Supply Chain, and Patient Support Programs
- Role will provide primary, day-to-day legal support to Public Affairs team, including Federal and State Government Affairs, Public Policy, and Patient &Professional Advocacy, as well as to the Patient Support Programs COE (e.g., patient assistance programs, copay programs)
- Experience with lobbying and government ethics laws and rules, market access landscape, drug pricing and reimbursement, government programs, and various pharmaceutical patient support programs is preferred
- Provide legal support to key stakeholders by assessing federal and state fraud and abuse laws and regulations, lobbying and government ethics laws and rules, promotional regulations, regulatory guidance, enforcement and litigation activity, competitor actions, consumer fraud, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), antitrust laws, product liability and industry guidance
- Proactively identifies risks, opportunities and mitigating actions, and collaborates across legal and business functions to implement
- Keeps informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the company, and assists with development of policies and training as needed
- Works closely with leadership from line of business in developing strategy and achieving objectives
- May draft, review and negotiate contracts and other legal documents as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned by senior management
- Upholds following approach to in-house counseling:
- Reliance on outside counsel is limited to only when necessary for unusual day-to-day issues
- Ideally, there will be one lawyer per client or meeting (others may be consulted behind the scenes, but then only when necessary for narrow expertise)
- High levels of consistency in legal advice (actual and perceived by explaining differences to clients)
- Seek alignment up and across Legal, in advance of client meetings as much as reasonably possible
- High levels of ownership, accountability and pride by lawyers with respect to their work
- Actively seeking customer feedback on a continuous basis, actively listening and clarifying feedback, and acting in response as needed
- Legal is viewed as a business partner and not an obstacle. Legal advice against engaging in a business practice is well-understood and respected by clients
- Legal advice is clear as to the risk types, level, likelihood
- Business-focused advice rather than abstract legal possibilities
- Proactive, creative value-added legal role to help the business achieve its goals
- Upholding and modeling ethical behavior and conduct at all times
0-20% overnight travel required.
- A J.D. with 6+ years relevant legal experience preferred
- A State Bar admission required
- Admission to New Jersey Bar (either plenary or under limited license to practice as in-house counsel) is required
- In-house pharmaceutical experience or law firm experience counseling pharmaceutical clients is required
- Deep understanding of pharmaceutical industry and eventually Novo Nordisk products and business model
- Strong problem-solving skills – demonstrates and exercises creativity and initiative
- Strong written and verbal communications skills – able to effectively collaborate and communicate with client groups, senior management and executives within the company
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously independently
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-11