Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Business Development Manager (Public Law & Policy)
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We are currently seeking a Senior Business Development Manager in our Marketing department reporting directly to the Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer.
The position will reside in the Washington, DC and will be responsible for developing and executing the business development and marketing goals and strategies of the Public Law and Policy practice and the lawyers and advisors in the Washington, D.C. office. The Senior Business Development Manager is expected to assist with the development and implementation of the practice groups’ action plans, keep the practice group apprised of market, client and competitor trends, identify target markets and new business opportunities, and evaluate and coordinate speaking and writing opportunities, conferences, seminars, and sponsorship opportunities. The Senior Business Development Manager also oversees practice-specific research and responses to client proposals/RFPs.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Assist in the implementation of practice group business and action plans by coordinating and tracking the group’s efforts.
- Monitor and track plan implementation to ensure that deadlines are met and commitments are kept.
- Identify, assess and coordinate conferences, seminars, forums, sponsorships, speaking and writing opportunities to ensure they are line with the goals of the practice.
- Work with the marketing and communications team to develop, prepare and distribute brochures, advertisements, newsletters, and client mailings at the practice level, and promote exposure of the practice and individual attorneys, as appropriate. Coordinate and implement internal and external practice events, with support from the marketing and communications team.
- Assist with practice- and industry-related sponsorships, events and memberships to facilitate the development of the practices. Specific tasks include coordinating the invitation and RSVP list, assist in preparing any invitation-related or event collateral, acting as on-site host and coordinating registration or tradeshow exhibit.
- Oversee and facilitate communication among and between the practices.
- Request and disseminate research to teams on trends in the industry or area of law.
- Manage client development expenses by practice group.
New Business Proposals
- Track and maintain transactions and cases for practice group for proposals, league tables, etc.
- Assist with the preparation of business development presentations, briefings, new business proposals and RFP responses. Maintain library of collateral materials and marketing information about the practices.
- Update and redesign of all marketing materials based on current practice area focus on congressional committee structures.
- Management of all client development pitches, including development of presentations, participation in presentations, and writing presentations.
- Identify opportunities to offer new services or enhance existing services in order to attract high-value work and enhance value provided to clients.
- Assist with the development and execution of marketing/business development strategies, plans and projects, including identifying and evaluating new business opportunities and targets, facilitating cross-selling initiatives and participating on client-specific target teams.
Communications and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Facilitate internal communication about successes and opportunities within and among the practice groups, utilizing communication vehicles such as AG Newswire, the portal, press clips, etc.
- Work with the marketing and communications team to develop marketing messages, seminar ideas, media lists and opportunities, advertising and other marketing tools.
- Analytic review of current client base by practice area. Maintain current and accurate experience lists, matter descriptions, case studies and client lists for use in marketing and business development efforts.
- Maintain an accurate database of clients and other contacts to enable external communication.
- Management of client development docket for group, encompassing all client development efforts by all partners.
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a marketing-related field. Advanced degree, JD or MBA a plus
- Minimum of 7 years of related business development or marketing experience, and at least three years relevant experience at a manager level within a law firm environment or lobbying firm
- Previous experience working in Congress or in a related public policy or government relations position is required
- Demonstrated professionalism with excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong writing and editing skills
- Strong work ethic and service orientation, and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Strong leadership skills and willingness to function as a role model within the department and office
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload, work independently and as a member of teams, and complete tasks under time pressure as necessary
- Commitment to professional career growth and development
- Strong computer skills including advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint are essential; experience with InterAction is preferred
Please click here to apply: https://akingump-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=559&version=1
Job posted: 2023-01-11