Senior Communications Associate
Position Title: Senior Communications Associate
Key Role: Writer
Reports to: Director of Communications
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Washington, DC
J Street is looking to bring a talented writer onto our communications team who believes in our mission and will help drive our success advocating for diplomacy-first US policies and building a powerful political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans.
First and foremost, we’re looking for a savvy, creative storyteller, who is adept at writing in a wide range of voices. The ideal candidate will have passion for winning political battles and be attuned to the nuances that make for great messaging.
For this communications team, every day is a potential new challenge as we react to and work to shape a fast-moving news cycle. The person in this position must be comfortable working in such a dynamic environment on a contentious and rapidly evolving issue. They must think on their feet and write to meet near constant deadlines. They will have the interpersonal skills to build productive relationships with J Street staff and supporters working across the country.
The person in this position will work within our integrated communications and digital teams to craft communications strategy and produce a wide variety of incisive and informative content for both online and offline platforms. They will be a voice for a powerful and growing organization working on some of the most contentious and important issues in US foreign policy and American politics.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft online and offline content including op-eds, statements, video scripts and press releases.
- Advise staff and volunteer leaders on messaging for local op-eds and letters to the editor.
- Edit supporter-generated content to get it in publishable form, including work with student leaders.
- Work with regional staff on email strategy to drive turnout to J Street events; implement strategy by drafting, implementing and sending emails.
- Compile and send J Street’s widely-read News Roundup email each weekday morning.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in communications, preferably for an advocacy group, campaign or congressional office
- Exceptional writing with proven ability to write in a range of voices
- Professional experience proofreading and editing for substance
- Ability to write quickly under frequent news and organizational deadlines
- Familiarity with J Street’s issues, particularly the US-Israel relationship and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Ability to work independently, taking initiative to set and meet professional goals
- Ability to work collaboratively across the organization
- Passion for advocacy work and belief in the importance of diplomacy
About J Street
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans who want Israel to be secure, democratic, and the national home of the Jewish people. Working in American politics and the Jewish community, J Street advocates policies that advance shared US and Israeli interests, as well as Jewish and democratic values, leading to a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of over 60. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, with employees in seven cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Tel Aviv.
The J Street family of organizations includes J Street, a 501(c)(4) nonprofit that is responsible for lobbying and advocacy; JStreetPAC, a federal political action committee that endorses and raises money for federal candidates; and the J Street Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) that works to educate the public and raise awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
Compensation, Benefits, and Employee Status
The salary for this position starts at $50,000 for qualified individuals. This is a full-time, exempt position. Our comprehensive benefits package includes paid vacation and sick leave, personal leave, generous parental leave, paid time off on many federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company-paid life insurance, a 401k program, commuter benefits, and a flexible spending account. J Street recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in J Street’s bargaining unit and is covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
How to Apply
To Apply for the Position
We are excited to receive applications from a broad range of applicants as we grow our organization to better reflect the diversity of the communities that care about our mission. Please submit the items listed below HERE:
- Cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified
- List of three references
At J Street we value an inclusive, welcoming, and diverse workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to understanding and valuing each other’s perspectives at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our employees, and the communities we work with. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment and fellowship, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Job posted: 2021-03-25