Senior Communications Associate
About Sequal Consulting
Sequal Consulting is a full-service strategic communications firm based in Pittsburgh, PA. We service clients across the Commonwealth and throughout the country. We are strategists for social change who help movements shift power from corporations and billionaires to the people and the planet. We help our clients increase their visibility, sharpen their message, share their stories with new audiences, and advance their vision for a more just society.
We are looking for a full-time Senior Communications Associate who is passionate about and experienced in comprehensive strategic communications for community organizations, labor unions, and/or other justice-oriented movements and organizations. This is a senior staff position that requires strategic thinking, tactical execution of communications best practices and an organizing approach to working with clients and their members/activists.
This position requires 3-5 years of experience working as a communicator in a movement/community organization, labor union, and/or as a political or campaign communications staffer. Strong “front of the room” training and/or presenting skills are also strongly desired.
In this position, no two days are the same and rapid response must be equally balanced with long term strategic planning. A passion for and commitment to movement building and intersectional justice and liberation for all is required.
- Develop strategic communications plans and implement comprehensive media strategies.
- Draft timely and strategic core messaging and ensure message consistency across communications channels.
- Develop organic and paid digital strategies that maximize client visibility and influence.
- Monitor news coverage and respond rapidly and effectively to control and shape narrative. Draft, edit, pitch, and place stories, OpEds, LTEs, and prepare spokespeople for interviews.
- Develop expert knowledge of and meaningful relationships with key reporters and outlets covering our clients’ issue areas and geography.
- Develop expertise on the issues and campaigns clients engage in.
- Provide effective and impactful media skills training.
- Help administer mass email / online activist tools as needed.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Experience in fast-paced communications in a movement and/or political environment.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively and strategically frame ideas, develop narrative, and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to the news media and a wide variety of audiences.
- Excellent news sense and political savvy along with sharp strategic thinking and ability to identify hooks and earned media opportunities.
- Experience developing traditional media relations strategies with a track record of earning media coverage and building relationships with journalists.
- Ability to identify and connect with diverse audiences, make rigorous and persuasive arguments, translate complex ideas into digestible language, tell emotionally compelling stories, and move people to action.
- Experience with digital organizing and campaign management, including design and execution of multi-stage digital campaigns, CRM and email management, social media management, basic web and design skills, creative use of multimedia, and online advertising (experience with Cision, EveryAction, ActionNetwork, Facebook Ads Manager, Google Ads, and WordPress is a plus.)
- Strong writing, editing, training, and presentation skills.
- Experience working in multi-racial and multi-ethnic coalitions.
- Commitment to understanding race, class, gender, and other equity and liberation issues.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
- Because this position directly relates to the 24-news cycle and social media environment, it will require weeknight and weekend hours. It may also require some travel eventually.
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting salary range for this position is $60,000 – $65,000/year. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Sequal offers health and dental insurance, an IRA with a company match, paid sick time, and a flexible vacation policy.
How to Apply
- Submit cover letter, résumé, and a writing sample to email@example.com.
Sequal Consulting is committed to building a more diverse social justice movement. Women, femmes, Black, brown, native, newcomer, LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Unfortunately, we cannot hire sitting elected officials in Pennsylvania due to conflicts of interest with client advocacy.
Job posted: 2021-03-25