Senior Communications Associate
Who we are:
Situated at the forefront of the national stage in the racial justice movement, Advancement Project National Office is a cutting edge, no-holds-barred national nonprofit whose team members are dedicated to creating free and safe communities for people of color. From ending the school-to-prison pipeline, to the fight to expand the right to vote, from calling for a complete overhaul of how we view the police and carceral state, to fighting for immigrant justice, Advancement Project National Office team members impact real change from the ground up. This moment demands alignment, sharp strategic thinking and creativity to imagine a more just world in which racism no longer exists and all people of color can be free and safe – and we are excited to bring on new talent to change our world.
We are seeking an experienced, creative communications strategist to join our team as a Senior Communications Associate to support our education justice advocacy, brand communications and other programs. This proactive person will develop and execute strategic communications plans that advance organizing campaigns in support of our grassroots partners, our national campaigns as well as organizational narrative shifting initiatives. The Senior Communications Associate will manage staff and interns.
This position reports to the Managing Director of Communications.
What you’ll do:
- Understand, decipher, and relay Advancement Project National Office’s commitment to racial justice.
- Create and execute communications advocacy campaigns aligned with Advancement Project goals and priorities.
- Collaborate with program and campaign strategies team to support organizing and national campaigns.
- Develop and edit content for traditional media, such as media advisories, press releases, blog entries, opinion editorials, and statements.
- Collaborate with partner organizations, staff, and consultants to create content including graphics, videos, social media campaigns, and cultural events.
- Manage consultants and vendors, including public opinion researchers.
- Manage press and media engagements for assigned programs and projects, including pitching journalists, securing, and staffing media interviews, and preparing staff for speaking engagements and press events.
- Develop and provide presentations and trainings on capacity-raising communications and on assigned program areas to external partners and groups.
- Plan and facilitate internal and external special events, including panels.
- Monitor media coverage and public opinion of relevant topics and maintain current knowledge of communications by partners and national allied organizations regarding issues of interest.
- Support efforts to increase visibility of organization and staff.
What you need to be considered:
- 5 years of experience in communications, journalism, or similar position and/or performing similar tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field.
- At least three years of experience managing people.
- Strong writer with equally strong verbal skills.
- Ability to occasionally work after hours and weekends and travel.
- Experience in at least one of the following: grassroots, advocacy, campaign, or nonprofit communications.
Experience with the following a plus:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- EveryAction / NGP Van
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-15