Senior Communications Consultant
Job Title: Senior Communications Consultant
Labor Classification: Senior Consultant
Exemption Status: Exempt
Employment Status: Bellevue office – Full-time (40 hours per week)
Reports to: Associate Director/Director
At PRR, we help create meaningful and inclusive opportunities for people affected by change to influence decision-making. Our clients include government agencies, organizations, and businesses that focus on transportation, public health, and the environment.
This position will manage strategic communications and intergovernmental relations for high-profile regional transportation projects within Washington State. The successful candidate must have demonstrated experience managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and providing client or customer service. Candidate must also have established relationships with cities, counties and public agencies throughout King, Pierce and Snohomish County – south King and Pierce County are a plus.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively and have excellent verbal and written communications skills and demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice and experience creating successful campaigns to reach diverse audiences. Experience and strong interest in public policy, transportation, health, or the environment field is also desirable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and implement communications and engagement plans that effectively reach diverse audiences, including people of who are Black, people who are Indigenous, and people of color, people with disabilities, people with low incomes, people who use languages other than English
- Lead and coordinate media relations and media events, including responding to media inquiries and emerging issues in a prompt and accurate manner
- Lead equitable community engagement initiatives to meaningfully involve historically underserved and underrepresented communities in decision-making
- Lead advisory group planning with elected officials and staff and schedule/implement meetings and briefings.
- Research, write, and edit content for executive-level talking points, message platforms, newsletters, press releases, social media, fact sheets, flyers, presentations, summary reports, and websites
- Produce PowerPoint presentations and meeting summaries
- Edit technical information and information for public audiences
- Maintain a database to track briefings and public correspondence
- Work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Facilitate outreach activities, such as virtual briefings, online open houses, partner interviews, and in person outreach
- Manage and support a project team, including mentoring staff
- Manage scope, schedule, and budget for projects
- Ensure work is on time, on budget, and on target with objectives; troubleshoot any issues as they arise
- Develop and manage project and event work plans
- Establish and support effective working relationships with clients, vendors, community-based organizations, and communities
- Lead client meetings
- Provide excellent customer service
- Provide best possible solutions to project team
- Set and maintain the highest client service standards
- Provide responsive and timely information to clients
- Maintain confidentiality of client information
- Anticipate and respond to client needs
- Maintain or exceed utilization goals
- Proactively complete tasks
- Review invoices and prepare progress reports
- Complete timesheets and expense reports on time and with accurate information
- Create databases
- Update excel spreadsheets
- Coordination with interdisciplinary PRR teams, including design, research, and language services.
- Provide accurate and timely billing information to accounting department
- Other admin support as needed
- Support business development efforts, such as proposal writing
- 7+ years of work experience in strategic communications, community engagement, or public policy
- Experience working with historically underserved communities highly desirable
- Experience working in customer or client service and/or the public sector highly desirable
- Strong work ethic and ability to take initiative and work independently and efficiently
- Ability to stay on task and meet deadlines in a deadline-driven environment
- Superior commitment to quality
- Understanding of and interest in public policy, public affairs, and current events
- Comfort working in a variety of settings, including remote settings, a busy office, or out in the community
- Proficient with PCs and MS software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Desirable, but not Essential, Skills and Interests
- Interest in planning, transportation infrastructure, and transportation
- Multilingual skills, written and verbal
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite programs
- Facilitation skills
- Valid driver license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be expected to work extended hours; including, but not limited to, standing or sitting for extended periods. The employee will often have to lift over 30 pounds. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee will regularly operate office equipment.
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. We offer a full benefits package, including health and dental insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP).
PRR, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
PRR is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a diverse and inclusive environment. We endeavor to build a team that reflects the diversity and intersectionality of the communities we serve. People of color, multilingual, LGBTQIA, and veteran candidates as well as individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2021-09-01