Senior Communications Manager
EcoAgriculture Partners is hiring a Communications Manager or Senior Communications Manager to join our committed team as soon as possible. The Manager will conduct communication activities both for the 1000 Landscapes for 1 Billion People Initiative (1000L) and for EcoAgriculture Partners’ other programs. We seek to hire a highly motivated individual who has strategic communication experience, has worked in multi-stakeholder environments, is creative, articulate, and who has strong attention to detail.
The successful candidate will be an effective team worker while simultaneously being adept at working independently to manage multiple, complex tasks. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
The Communications Manager or Senior Communications Manager will report to the President and CEO of EcoAgriculture Partners, and will work closely with the EcoAg and 1000L teams.
The Communications Manager will:
- Play a lead role in developing 1000L’s communications and outreach strategy;
- Lead and coordinate the 1000L Communications Committee composed of communication professionals representing the various partners of 1000L to assist in the development of a collaborative and well-aligned communications and outreach strategy;
- Prepare and edit written communications materials such as press releases, organizational reports, web postings, and other documents to be disseminated through diverse channels for 1000L and EcoAg;
- Build alignment and agreement on key messaging and outreach among the 1000L partners;
- Develop messaging of complex concepts for diverse audiences;
- Further develop and maintain the 1000L website;
- Further develop the 1000L brand;
- Ensure widespread dissemination of 1000L and EcoAg materials;
- Coordinate and maintain social media for 1000L and EcoAg; and
- Travel for up to 20% time post covid.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, development communications, environmental studies, policy, or in a related field;
- At least five years of relevant communications work experience focused primarily on writing and editing;
- Experience developing communication strategies;
- Experience in effectively communicating and conveying complex topics through a variety of media;
- Previous experience working in a multi-stakeholder initiative or project, preferably in an international context;
- Experience working in other major collaborative communication efforts, coalitions, platforms, movements or initiatives;
- Strong social media skills;
- Native-level fluency in written and spoken English;
- Outstanding writing skills;
- Strong experience in editing and copy-editing;
- Pays close attention to detail;
- Ability to work and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- Significant experience in cross-cultural communications and working in an international context and setting;
- Ability to work across broad time zones; and
- Ability to effectively work in a diverse team.
Desirable Experience and Skills:
- Written fluency in additional major global languages, particularly French or Spanish;
- At least eight years relevant professional experience;
- Experience in developing branding strategies;
- Relevant masters’ degree;
- Experience in website design and management, including HTML and CSS;
- Experience working with and/or supervising graphic artists;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software;
- At least two years of experience living and working internationally; and
- Previous experience with initiatives focused on climate change, conservation, the environment or other relevant topics.
About EcoAgriculture Partners and the 1000 Landscapes for 1 Billion People Initiative
EcoAgriculture Partners is an international non-profit organization that strives to bring about a world where rural landscapes are managed to improve rural livelihoods, conserve native ecosystems, and sustainably produce food and fiber. The organization does so by providing training, research, policy solutions, and support to farmers, communities, and organizations at the local, national and international levels. To learn more about EcoAgriculture Partners, please visit our website at www.ecoagriculture.org.
A centerpiece of EcoAg’s work is the 1000 Landscapes for 1 Billion People (1000L) Initiative– a ‘radical collaboration’ of partner organizations that aim to provide the tools and support Landscape Partnerships need to thrive and scale their efforts through integrated landscape approaches.
1000L is convened by EcoAgriculture Partners, and co-led with Rainforest Alliance, Commonland, Conservation International, the United Nations Development Programme, Landscape Finance Lab, and information technology leader Tech Matters. More than 20 other partners are sharing technical and financial expertise, and a dozen Landscape Partnerships are co-designing the initiative. Together, these organizations already engage with over 250 other Landscape Partnerships worldwide and are positioned to provide a strategic bridge with international and national programs championing Landscape Partnerships. See the website and flyer for more information.
Benefits include 29 days of annual and holiday leave, sick leave, health insurance, and a retirement contribution. The position is remote, but requires excellent connectivity and willingness to work across time zones. The Manager must be available daily to work with the team from 9am to 5pm US eastern time. The position will begin as soon as filled.
Level of Language Proficiency
Required: Native-level fluency in written and spoken English
Preferred: Written fluency in additional major global languages, particularly French or Spanish
Join This Job
Instructions:Please e-mail a cover letter (maximum of 1 page) specifically describing your background, experience, and interest in this position; your current curriculum vitae (maximum of 4 pages); two writing samples, such as a blog posting, policy brief, media story, or promotional brochure (maximum of 5 pages each) to showcase your ability to write concisely and compellingly for different audiences; and the names of three professional references.
Please email completed applications, with the subject line “Communications Manager – [your name]” to Tom Derr, firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will commence on April 5 and continue until the position is filled.
Job posted: 2021-03-25