Senior Communications Manager
About the Senior Communications Manager
The Working Families Party is the grassroots political party of the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that cares for all of us. The WFP recruits, trains, and elects the next generation of progressive leaders.
The WFP is seeking an experienced communications professional to join our team to help tell our story, develop and drive earned media strategies nationally and for states and local chapters.
Applicants should have extensive experience with media relations and strategy, and they should possess excellent written and organizational skills. An ideal candidate is Spanish-language fluent and has experience working with Spanish-language press.
This is a six-month contract role with the potential for extension into permanent employment at the conclusion. This position is remote. Applicants do not need to live in New York.
Expectations and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute national and local media plans, including:
- Producing advocacy and electoral campaign message and strategy documents
- Managing crisis communications
- Training staff in earned media strategies
- Building relationships and pitching journalists for coverage, features, and interviews
- Writing press releases and statements
- Planning press events
- Drafting opinion pieces
- Writing talking points
- Prepping WFP spokespeople
- Creating and coordinating social media strategies, including paid media
- Maintaining social media accounts
- Writing and disseminating email blasts to volunteers and activists
- Assist the Communications Director in developing national communications strategies to elevate WFP leaders as movement thought leaders
- Training staff in media strategies, including social and earned media
- Cultivating media relationships with key reporters
- Spokesperson training
- Coordinate with state and regional staff on electoral and issue campaigns as well as breaking news
- Identify and navigate state and local environments
- Manage crisis communications
- Coordinate with electoral campaign staff and organizational partners
- Coordinate and work with national WFP staff on social media strategies
- Work with national WFP staff to Identify national media opportunities for WFP state issues, candidates, and multi-state campaigns
- Minimum of five years of communications experience;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Detail-oriented and highly organized;
- Ability to react quickly and manage competing priorities without dropping balls;
- Flexibility, patience, and willingness to “roll with the punches” as days can be unpredictable as news breaks or opportunities arise;
- A sense of humor;
- Commitment to building a multiracial working-class movement to save the world;
- And finally, Spanish language skills are a big plus for this role.
$70,000 – $85,000/yr depending on experience. We also offer a competitive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance and matching contributions into a 401(k) retirement plan, plus paid holidays, vacation, and sick time. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. Our People’s Charter spells out our roadmap to a nation that cares for all of us. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
The WFP is made up of individual and organizational members who come together to build a new political movement to change America.
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us to request such an accommodation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-31