Senior Communications Manager and Managing Editor of California Freemason Magazine
Looking for a quirky communications and marketing position with a wide variety of projects and challenges? Ready to make your mark on a 300-year-old organization?
As the Sr. Communications Manager for the Masons of California and its entities, you will manage communications and marketing for a range of industries – from publishing (our award-winning, quarterly California Freemason magazine: http://www.californiafreemason.org), to live events (several a year), to wellness and healthcare (wellness resources and our vibrant retirement communities), and more. Plus, you’ll learn a ton about the fascinating world of Freemasonry.
Your project management, writing, and marketing skills will help you lead a collaborative, creative team making a lasting impact in California and beyond. Your work will inspire and motivate our members. You love a challenge, work well with a team, and strive for excellence.
You will work with long-time members and employees who are passionate and excited about leadership, making true friends, and impacting our society in positive ways. Join our team!
- Manage day-to-day workflow and project requests from all entities.
- Strategize and collaborate with entities and lodges on marketing and communications deliverables.
- Plan event and product marketing campaigns.
- Ensure all communications deliverables meet stakeholder goals, and are delivered on-time and on-budget.
- Responsible for maintaining and developing websites, by managing an email and web specialist, as well as web development vendors.
- Develop strategic marketing and communications plans for all Masonic events, including distribution, timing, key messages, overseeing execution. Analyzes results of marketing efforts, and make decisions to drive results.
- Assign and schedule department projects and marketing efforts in project management software Asana, ensuring the department meets its deadlines and delivers high quality pieces.
- Responsibility for all Marketing/Communications systems, including project management system, email system (MailerLite), and membership-facing email, social and phone communications systems within the member database (iMember).
- Organize and schedule the development of content, design, and maintenance of communications vehicles, including California Freemason magazine, our Web sites, social media, and online tools and resources.
- Proofread and edit all communications materials, with an eye for efficacy, accuracy, and relevance. Route all materials for proofing to stakeholders and build consensus around changes. Work with printers and mail houses.
- Foster and maintain collaborative communications counsel and services for all entities.
- Partner with a cross-divisional set of team members on standards and style guides.
- Work with members to execute build of lodge websites and lodge apps, review feedback from members, and respond to them in a timely manner.
- Manage resources to achieve communication goals and initiatives, including budgets. Negotiate fees and manage the work of vendors.
- Manage high-performing web and email specialist by maintaining high quality, professional and service standards
- Develop communication staff skills and competencies, and coach for distinguished performance.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage department workflow and delegate responsibilities to meet multiple demands and deadlines
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and design management skills
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong leadership skills; ability to work with leaders, members, management, and employees
- Demonstrated ability to create and achieve consensus for tactical communication plans
- Demonstrated ability to create cogent and strategic messages, manage content
- Demonstrated experience with online and digital communications, including front end web development. WordPress experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience designing and maintaining metrics
- Demonstrated performance management and employee development skills
- 5+ years’ experience managing marketing/communications planning and execution for non-profit organization, member/association organization, corporate communications or communications agency
- BA or relevant job experience in Communications, Journalism or English
- As part of our commitment to health and safety for staff and residents, we require staff to be vaccinated for COVID19. We can assist you in obtaining your vaccination during the hiring process.
The Masons of California is a nonprofit membership organization with more than 55,000 members and 240 lodges throughout the state. We are a values-driven organization, committed to a culture of leadership, philanthropy, service, and continued learning. Our members, clients, and staff are some of the most generous and devoted of any membership organization in the world.
We are committed to our employees’ well being. We foster a culture of excellence by building trust and encouraging professional and individual growth. Every day, our employees contribute to something important: Carrying out our philanthropic vision throughout California by improving the lives of members, strengthening community ties, and, in many cases, literally saving lives.
Read our award-winning magazine for more about our members, the organization, and what the Communications team does at http://www.californiafreemason.org
At the Masons of California we are looking for team members who would like to combine their passion for helping people, good communication skills, decision-making skills, and great ethical standards with the opportunities to advance your career.
In return for your skills, you will be offered:
- A work environment focused on teamwork and support
- Flexible location
- Excellent health, wage replacement and other benefits for you and your family’s well-being
- Three weeks paid time off in first year
- A generous contribution to a 401K plan whether or not you participate, and an additional contribution from the company up to 6% when you participate in the plan
- Investment in your growth through Tuition Reimbursement
- Free onsite parking in SF Masonic garage
This job description has been developed to identify some of the duties and responsibilities of this position. It is not intended to limit or encompass all duties and responsibilities of the position.
Masons of California at its sole and absolute discretion, expressly reserves the right to modify, supplement, delete or augment the duties and responsibilities specified in this and all job descriptions.
Job posted: 2021-08-17