Senior Communications Manager, Technology
Niantic’s mission is to build emerging technology that enriches our experiences as human beings in the physical world. We use that technology to build products that encourage movement, exploration, and social connection for millions of people around the world. With our AR platform we seek to further strengthen interactions for people with one another and with the world around them. By creating the 3D map of the world centered around places that matter the most to people, we strive to unlock new possibilities for both our internal game teams and for external developers to build realistic AR experiences that truly enrich people’s lives.
Niantic is looking for an experienced Communications Manager to lead its global technology communications efforts. This person will be a strategic member of the global Communications team that is responsible for corporate, platform and product communications. This lead will focus on telling the story of the Niantic AR platform, our in-depth research findings, and our strategic global partnerships. We are looking for a communications lead who is passionate about innovation and AR technology, has a consistent track record to adapting to fluid situations, and can understand sophisticated issues. Demonstrated verbal and written communications skills are essential, including blog posts, FAQs and video scripts.
This role will define the technology communications strategy – focusing on topics including AR, 3D mapping, developer platforms, research, and content. In this role, you’ll help craft the company’s approach to data privacy and protection at the core of Niantic’s AR platform, and ensure policies are well-understood externally and internally. This role is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.
- Shape and lead communications for Niantic’s technology narrative including the platform, AR products, and research initiatives.
- Shape Niantic’s global point-of-view on AR industry, regulatory, and other technology-related topics, and grow its profile among relevant influencers, business and tech press.
- Lead platform messaging and communications strategy, delivering plans for its global agencies and community teams to ensure consistency across geographies on technology developments and initiatives.
- Manage a wide variety of initiatives and programs, including Niantic’s technical products, research, and security communications.
- Coordinate with our partnership team to support announcements with partners, program updates, and more.
- Build programs that help educate the press, developers and other groups on our AR products and vision.
- Interface and communicate regularly with cross-functional teams including marketing, business development, legal, product, and engineering.
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters and influencers, particularly in tech and business media.
- Develop creative narratives and pitch stories on a regular basis, draft speeches, prepare messaging and draft blog posts.
- Bachelor Degree in Marketing, Journalism, Political Science, Communications, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of work experience in communications, preferably with technology comms or developer platform roles.
- Experience with media relations across tech, business, and broadcast outlets.
- Experience on communications or marketing teams at both startups and global technology companies.
- Developer platforms and AR/VR technologies experience.
- Basic understanding of computer vision, AR, and 3D mapping technologies.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We’re a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-25