Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Communications Manager, U.S. Public Policy
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, and we’re dedicated to this mission across every aspect of our company. We’re looking for an experienced communications or public affairs professional to join our team as a Senior Communications Manager, U.S. Public Policy. On Microsoft’s Public Affairs Communications Team, you’ll join a group of professionals focused on telling stories that demonstrate the company’s commitment to building trust and contributing to solutions for some of the world’s big challenges. The Public Affairs Team is also part of the broader Microsoft Communications Group, so you’ll join a large, diverse community of professionals focused on innovative communications, and you’ll have significant opportunities for career growth.
In this role you will work at the intersection of technology and policy, helping to tell our story with policymakers, their staff, and thought leaders in Washington, D.C. and in states throughout the country. The ideal candidate will have mastery of the full range of modern communications tools, feel comfortable managing communications for high-stakes issues, have a track record of world class media relations, and be familiar with the intersection of technology and geopolitical issues.
The role is based at the Microsoft Innovation & Policy Center in Washington, D.C. and works closely with colleagues on the public affairs and government affairs teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, Finance, or related field AND 4+ years Communications, Marketing Operations, Field Operations, Program Management, Project Management, or related experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- Experience with Policy Communications in public affairs, government affairs or related area
Communications IC4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $101,200 – $194,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $130,000 – $213,200 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Communication Strategy Setting and Planning
- Drive communication planning and strategy. Participate in business planning discussions. Translate analysis and policy efforts into effective communications strategies and storytelling that resonate with target government audiences. Embed diversity and inclusion (D&I) throughout strategy and execution.
Storytelling and Messaging
- Lead stories in fresh ways that generate positive perceptions towards Microsoft. Collaborate across teams to develop and drive story telling opportunities by using data and insights. Use expertise to determine what format is most appropriate and meaningful for a story and target audiences.
Execution of Communication Strategy
- Take responsibility for the bill of materials and engagements and ensure alignment to the strategy and adherence to business objectives. Recommend, develop, and orchestrate communications strategies and tactics. Solicit feedback and iterate as appropriate. Modify narratives in real time based on reaction/response. Test effectiveness of messaging. Drive collaboration with others, including agency partners, on the development and production of communications materials and deployment of communications tactics.
- Conceptualize and develop content to educate, guide, and advise internal stakeholders and partners on communications strategy and tactics. Proactively solicit understanding of perspective, goals, and desired outcomes of stakeholders. Establish decision making criteria and principles at outset to drive priorities and expectations. Ensure alignment on strategic intent as foundation for execution of tactics. Escalate and resolve escalations appropriately.
- Act as a trusted advisor within Microsoft by advancing and protecting the corporate image and reputation. Anticipate, understand, and address factors that impact reputation.
- Showcase Microsoft’s work to address the problem using our tools and resources.
- Protect the company’s reputation in crisis situations.
- Shape our messages and find ways to tell our stories with the most impact.
- Provide communications counsel to executives.
- Manage relationships with top tier reporters.
- Create and distribute world class digital and social media content.
- Think creatively and expansively about creative ways to reach audiences.
- Understand the Congressional calendar or have prior work on Capitol Hill.
- Can travel periodically as needed.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-08