Senior Communications Officer
We’re seeking a storytelling powerhouse and “radical communicator” who is passionate about racial justice, social justice, and the power of our communities to join the Marketing & Communications team.
If you’ve built your career using messages and media to move hearts and minds, you’ll find a good fit on our team. This is a great opportunity to apply your passion for creating content to build connections with community leaders and our philanthropic partners & donors. You’ll also play a critical role shaping the way EBCF communicates our work and creates unique value for our communities.
We’re looking for a candidate who wants to do things differently, who can pump out a healthy volume of timely and relevant content, and who understands the needs of community organizations, including those of community foundations like ours. As our lead content producer, the Senior Communications Officer works alongside our growing team contributing to our communications strategy and partnering with teams across the organization.
The Senior Communications Officer will be responsible for three main functions: Content creation, public relations, and social media support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Drafts and/or edits content for blog posts, email newsletters, press releases, organizational position statements, reports, and other communications in alignment with our strategy;
· Shapes the content editorial calendar with input from teams from across the organization, identifying stories that help our community understand our mission, our work, and our approach; and
· Directs the work of graphic designers, infographic artists, videographers, and other freelance or agency creatives to bring our stories to life. Sample projects might include multi-page impact reports, video profiles, testimonials, b-roll, and more; and
· Owns responsibility for creating and maintaining an editorial style guide that establishes standards and provides guidance and support to anyone at EBCF who is creating content.
Public relations / Media affairs
· Advises Vice President of Marketing & Communications and President & CEO on public statements and positions on issues relevant to our community;
· Establishes and implements rapid response communications protocol;
· Prepares interview talking points and messaging frameworks as part of interview preparation; and
· Maintains strong and productive relationships with journalists and news media.
Social media support
· Manages the work of our social media agency helping them co-create and implement our communications strategy and ensuring that content is timely, relevant to the interests of our community and our program initiatives; and
· Leads efforts to develop and test social media ads and influencer strategies;
Candidate will possess:
· Experience communicating the perspectives and needs of community-based organizations by centering the strengths and experiences of our community through content designed to inform and call audiences to action;
· Ability to synthesize talking points, key themes, and objectives into impactful purpose statements, news releases, blog posts, speeches, and thought-leadership content;
· Past success directing the work of creative freelancers and/or agencies;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and desire to establish and maintain effective and respectful working relationships;
· Ability to build project timelines, communicate expectations, and keep multiple projects moving forward on time. Experience working in project management software like Asana is a plus;
· Desire to acquire expert-level skill in content marketing;
· Deep knowledge of East Bay communities and their power and ability to strategize and mobilize to overcome systemic challenges;
· Knowledge of storytelling best practices, including current practices for centering community power and avoiding classic tropes;
· Ability to approach each day with curiosity, creativity, humor, integrity, humility, and compassion;
· Commitment to being part of a team, learning, accountability, openness to conflict, and attention to results; and
· Passion for racial justice and social justice movements, community organizing, and capacity building.
How to Apply
To apply, please email a combined PDF or Microsoft Word File of a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: EBCF Senior Communications Officer.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
The East Bay Community Foundation (EBCF) is an equal-opportunity employer with a commitment to racial justice and racial equity. EBCF does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law and is an employment-at-will organization. The Foundation welcomes and encourages people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ people, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups to apply.
Job posted: 2021-09-29