Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Communications Specialist
Are you passionate about disruptive technologies in emerging industries? Do you want to work on a dynamic team focused on helping the government and private sector partners develop and deploy groundbreaking digital infrastructure and automated vehicle tech? If you are strategic thinker, a talented communicator, a data-focused decision maker, and a positive team player who’s ready to utilize your talents in an environment like this, we want to hear from you.
Leidos is hiring a Senior Communications Specialist in McLean, Virginia, to join a team of researchers and communicators in distributing the latest research and development in automated vehicle technology from all around the intelligent transportation community. The person in this position will be a key contributor in developing a comprehensive communications strategy to inform, educate, engage, and develop new stakeholders in the intelligent transportation industry. The successful candidate will also perform hands-on tactical work in boost of this strategy and work closely both with internal members and our government clients. The ability to internalize and grasp highly technical material and then translate it into compelling content for a several different audiences will be key to success in this position.
Primary Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Working with communications manager to develop high level communications strategy that will drive all major activity throughout the year
· Proactively provide ideas and suggestions to Communications Manager regarding communications opportunities, trends, strategies, and areas of growth
· Background in writing proposals with the ability to write clear, compliant, compelling, persuasive, and articulate proposal sections; translating complex problems into opportunities for Leidos to excel.
· Directing communication assistance such as: the development, preparation, production, coordination, and editing of a range of products that may include content for websites, videos, presentations, fact sheets, social media, general and technical presentations, and other associated media and materials.
· Acts as internal “final editor” for communications teamwork products
· Ability to attend detail-oriented meetings and report back to communications manager overall status of the project and identify/escalate problems or roadblocks that may have arisen.
· Conveys complex information in a clear and simple manner
· Execute process and system improvements by working with team and help staff as needed
· Coordinate multiple deliverables and assignments concurrently to meet deadlines
· Build relationships with FHWA editors and FHWA Public Affairs to work on behalf of the communications team to build reliance and improve processes.
· Apply data-motivated marketing best practices, using data and business expertise to make strategic decisions and recommendations.
· Track, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of communications, outreach, marketing, and stakeholder engagement activities to inform future campaign strategies and investments.
· Ability to identify external events relevant to the STOL mission and make informed proposals for attendance
· Sponsor development of events to publicize Office of Operations Research & Development (R&D) activities.
· BS education with 6+ years of professional background in marketing and communications, or a MS degree with 4+ years of professional background in marketing and communications.
· Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
· Ability to travel for conferences and filming, locally and out of state
· Strong comprehension of branding and integrated marketing best practices to implement a cohesive vision across several projects.
· Demonstrated skills with writing and content development for a variety of communications media, platforms, and publications.
· Prior Involvement with the planning and execution of in-person and virtual events.
· Background with metrics development, tracking, visualization, and reporting.
· Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English.
· Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
· Ability to work freely and as a member of a team.
· Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across multiple communications and outreach projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
· Formal or informal management or leadership background.
· Background with Adobe Creative Cloud software.
· Background operating professional video and photo equipment, conducting photoshoots, and editing media.
· Familiar with web conferencing tools and platforms.
· Background with technical writing and following different communication style guides.
· Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
· Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
· Curiosity and dedication to be proficient with vast and complex subjects
The Senior Communications Specialist will be a key part of the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL) team strengthening the communications and outreach needs associated with the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be part of a larger research team that develops new connected and automated vehicle (CAV) technologies for the FHWA.
Learn about STOL here: https://highways.dot.gov/research/laboratories/saxton-transportation-operations-laboratory/saxton-transportation-operations-laboratory-overview
Pay Range $59,150.00 – $91,000.00 – $122,850.00The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That’s why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at email@example.com.
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.
Job posted: 2023-01-16