Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Communications Specialist, Government Affairs & Advocacy – 23054
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world’s leading conservation organizations, seeks a Senior Communications Specialist, Government Affairs & Advocacy.
The communications specialist will create and adapt content and outreach materials to advance WWF’s public policy priorities, develop and implement proactive engagement with US government officials, in coordination with the Market & Communications division and other teams across the organization. The individual will work within the Policy and Government Affairs team to identify communications priorities working as part of a dynamic and transparent team environment and in close collaboration with relevant WWF substance experts from across the organization. The individual will be responsible for positively promoting WWF’s brand and reputation with a USG government audience. As needed, the communications specialist will develop communications aimed for an internal WWF audience.
- Supports WWF’s policy engagement work with the US government and multilateral agencies. Identifies messages, audiences, and other key communications elements, including key activities, deliverables, and timetables.
- Under the guidance of the SVP for policy and government affairs team, and in close coordination with the Senior Director for Policy, the Director for Policy and the Senior Director for Partnerships, as appropriate, drafts materials including fact sheets, briefing documents, letters, website content, and other strategic communications materials.
- Coordinates and engages with the Marketing & Communications division to create policy-driven content for the WWF’s communications channels and for external channels and audiences as needed, including WWF’s website and social media channels.
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with teams across the organization, ensuring internal WWF audiences are informed about ongoing public policy priorities and initiatives.
- Actively promotes coordination, collaboration, and information sharing within and across teams to maximize results across WWF’s full set of priority issues and ensure its capacities and expertise are deployed efficiently and effectively in pursuit of the organization’s objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree with 6 to 8 years of experience in communications, political science, conservation, policy, or advocacy.
- Strong existing working relationships preferred, including with relevant coalition players and Congressional, including Committee, and Executive branch staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including effective public speaking and the ability to communicate complex issues both verbally and in written form.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all constituents.
- Excellent organizational skills and commitment to drive toward results.
- Ability to set priorities, manage several tasks and priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, and work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF’s core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration:
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular.
- Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
- Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
- we are looking to fill this position as quickly as possible; applications will be reviewed as soon as they are received
- given the responsibilities of this position, the selected candidate would need to be based in the DC area
WWF is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and requires all US-based staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. WWF will consider requests for accommodation from the vaccine requirement based on disability, medical contraindication, sincerely held religious belief, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #23054
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Job posted: 2023-01-05