Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Community Organizer
JOB OPPORTUNITY – SOUTH DAKOTA SENIOR ORGANIZER
Dakota Rural Action (DRA) is seeking an experienced grassroots organizer to join our team. The ideal candidate will have three to five years grassroots organizing experience with a community led organization that centers relations and basebuilding or related experience.
Other important experience includes:
- Campaign experience. Specifically involvement in a grassroots led campaign focused on changing a policy at the local, state or federal level.
- Grassroots fundraising. Specifically asking people to join and support an organization.
- Leadership development
- Facilitation skills
- Ability to work effectively in networks and coalitions
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal communications skills
- Skilled in group dynamics and group decision-making process
- Excited about meeting and working with new people
- Knowledge of South Dakota and or rural spaces and its people a plus
- A strategic thinker and planner
- Someone who can motivate people to take action
- Must be a team player
- Driven by a strong sense of justice and understanding of racial equity
Whoever is hired will have the opportunity to work with staff and members of a fast growing grassroots organization working in South Dakota. DRA’s portfolio of work includes local and regional food systems, fighting pipelines, extractive energy projects and policy, hard rock mining, supporting family farmers and ranchers, working to train beginning farmers and food entrepreneurs while fighting factory and industrial agriculture via a theory of change dependent on community leadership. Dakota Rural Action stands in solidarity for social and racial justice. This position is based in Rapid City, SD. This is a full time position.
Compensation and Hiring date:
Starting salary is $45,000 and depends on experience. Employment includes generous benefits; 401K, paid holiday, vacation and sick time, wellness package (health, dental, and vision).
Priority start date January 2021.
Send resume, writing sample, and three references to Frank James, Director, PO Box 549, Brookings, SD 57006, fejames AT dakotarural.org, 605.697.5204. If you have any questions please contact Dakota Rural Action.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until position filled, applying immediately encouraged.
Dakota Rural Action (DRA) organizes people and builds leadership while developing strong allied relationships. We protect environmental resources, advocate for resilient agriculture systems, and empower people to create policy change that strengthens their communities and cultures.
We envision an active and engaged membership promoting healthy, beautiful, and just food, agriculture, and energy systems that protect clean air, water, and soil for all the current and future inhabitants of South Dakota.
Job posted: 2022-01-01