Senior Consultant, Communications & PR
We are seeking a Senior Consultant, Communications & PR to join our growing Chicago office. The ideal candidate will be the consummate public relations and corporate communications generalist with strong oral and written communications skills, media relations experience and fluency in digital. Additionally, healthcare experience is a strong plus. He or she will work across sectors to provide excellent guidance to the full range of APCO clients.
Our Chicago team works collaboratively with our colleagues across APCO’s 34 global offices. We are open, nimble, entrepreneurial, diverse and curious. Clients come to us to help solve tricky problems, create new ideas and campaigns, and connect with others. We believe in the power of communication to affect change and we are excited by purposeful work. We take an integrated approach across paid, earned, owned and shared efforts and content for our clients, and consistently product metric-driven results and award-winning programs.
As a Senior Consultant, you will lead project work and collaborate closely with colleagues at all levels and around the world on research, writing, media, and creative problem-solving. You’ll have the opportunity to work across disciplines, including corporate communication, crisis and issues, corporate social responsibility, media relations and stakeholder engagement, and digital/social media. And you could work with clients in the food and consumer products, healthcare, education, tech, energy and nonprofit sectors.
· Performs day-to-day strategic communications account work, with assistance from more junior and senior colleagues, for our high profile, globally recognized clients
· Independently manages several small projects and engages with clients with support and supervision, as needed
· Manages client expectations, earning their respect, trust and confidence through proactive account management to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
· Develops and manages project programming, including implementation plans, staffing plans, budgets, timelines and measurement/evaluation
· Produces high-quality, client-ready written deliverables, such as press materials, messaging toolkits, social media strategies, and advocacy communications, often under tight deadlines
· Leads media relations efforts, including cultivating relationships with media, drafting strategies, organizing press conferences, and more
· Integrates digital and social media tactics with overall communications strategy and construct traditional and digital measurement deliverables upon request
· Familiarity with a variety of social media tools and the metrics that drive success within those tools
· Supports business development activities, including drafting of written proposals, developing new business presentations and participating in pitch presentations
· Articulates and applies agency vision, goals, practice areas, products, and overall capabilities
· At least 5-6 years of PR/strategic communications, public affairs or media experience – agency experience is a plus
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in English or other Liberal Arts, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Social Sciences, or other related field
· Solid project management experience and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and client initiatives and teams of both junior and senior colleagues in a fast-paced environment
· Previous experience developing and supporting strategic communications (corporate or financial communications, issues management, internal communications, crisis communications, etc.) plans across various industries and subject areas (financial services, healthcare, food and consumer goods, technology, transportation, energy, etc.)
· Demonstrate exceptional presentation, writing and analytical skills, including experience writing strategic plans, messaging and press materials and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
· Excellent client and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively by phone, email, and in-person
· Well-versed in current events and headline news at local, national, and international levels
· Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, media databases and social media networks
APCO Worldwide is a global communication consultancy. We help the most innovative organizations adapt and thrive in this fast-moving, interconnected and complex world. We do this for all types of organizations, in all industries and in all situations. We partner with clients to guide them through a changing, complex global environment, enabling them to reach their business and societal goals. We bring our clients’ work to life creatively and digitally through diverse thinking and a campaign mentality that embraces a variety of integrated tactics to achieve success. Our work impacts bottom lines; creates and protects jobs; defines issues important to society; improves workplaces and communities; gains visibility for and gives voice to those who may not typically be heard; and much more. Simply put, our work is impactful, meaningful, and problem-solving or opportunity-creating. APCO is a majority employee- and women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named the 2017 PR Agency of the year by the New York Observer, as well as “Public Affairs Agency of the Year” 2017 “Best Large Agency to Work For” 2013-2014 and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Job posted: 2018-11-28