Senior Consultant – Government and Industry Relations
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Government and Industry Relations group is responsible for managing government affairs and public policy work at the state and federal levels including but not limited to:
- Drafting Legislation and Regulations
- Guaranty Fund and Residual Market Governance
- Issue Identification and Advocacy
- Position Development including research and drafting
- Legislative and Regulatory Developments
- Trade Association Leadership and Participation
- Government and Regulatory Litigation and Disputes
- Monitoring, Reporting, and Other Advice and Counsel related to Government Affairs.
- Management of projects and activities as directed and supervised for the Government & Industry Relations group.
- Manages projects and activities independently.
- Collaborates with clients and/or other areas of the Law and Regulation Department at Allstate.
Government Affairs and Public Policy
- Monitor business initiatives and interests, insurance, investments, tax, HR, benefits, privacy, etc.
- Monitor issues through the trade association and provide appropriate input
- Monitor and assess legislative and regulatory developments
- Report on trade association activities that impact the business
Regulatory and Regulatory Compliance
- Gather and compile facts, including previous inquiries and investigations (related to Administrative and Regulatory Agency Inquiries and Investigations)
- Possesses either a JD Degree; or an MBA or other advanced degree
- Ability to identify opportunities, recommend and help implement process improvements
- Intermediate strategic/conceptual thinking abilities
- Is analytical and detail oriented; able to identify, prioritize and solve problems effectively
- Able to work in a diverse, multi-office environment
- Basic to intermediate business acumen
- Intermediate to advanced training development and delivery abilities
- Functions autonomously and deliver corporate results while keeping management of work progress and escalate issues as appropriate
- Able to interact with all levels of personnel
- Strong interpersonal skills, intermediate to advanced written and oral communication and effective customer service skills
- Strong ability to balance ethical/compliance issues with business goals in advice (as appropriate)
- Has relevant experience or education
- Basic to intermediate negotiation and mediation skills
- Demonstrated leadership, management, mentoring, and coaching capabilities
- Advanced project management skills
- Basic to intermediate change management skills
- Intermediate to advanced researching, quality assurance, and formatting skills
- Ability to identify inconsistencies in routine work and initiate corrective action within own workflow
- Able to deliver results with a sense of urgency
- Adapts well to change; able to multi-task and make effective decisions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Is a proactive self-starter who is able to manage his/her time effectively and works independently.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills (Microsoft office skills)
- Knowledge of LexisNexis is preferred
- Insurance, financial, legal, or compliance industry experience preferred
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-20