Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Counsel, AML Regulatory
Job Description And Responsibilities
We are seeking an attorney to provide day-to-day legal advice on anti-money laundering, counter-terrorism financing, economic sanctions and export control matters. This attorney will support the Compliance Department primarily but will also work closely with business partners working on Visa’s products and services. The position is based in Foster City, California.
The Regulatory Senior Counsel will be responsible for supporting the Company’s AML, Economic Sanctions, and Export Control programs and associated activities in the U.S. and globally.
Responsibilities include: interpreting and advising on Bank Secrecy Act and global AML regulations, USA PATRIOT Act, OFAC and global economic sanctions regulations, and export control regulations, advising on appropriate second-line-of-defense activities pertaining to these regulations, create and manage associated regulatory submissions and filings and reporting on regulatory requirements internally and in public filings, monitoring, reporting and influencing the AML. economic sanctions, and export control regulatory environment in the payments sector, evaluating business proposals for AML, economic sanctions, and export control regulatory compliance, supporting government relations outreach to legislators and regulatory agencies, including advising on applicable political law-related requirements.
The Regulatory Senior Counsel will be actively involved in supporting the Company’s efforts to reduce regulatory obstacles to the Company’s ability to develop and support our core and emerging products and capabilities and maintain our ongoing freedom to operate. The Regulatory Counsel will assist in the development of short and long term strategies to manage these challenges that incorporate a variety of perspectives and priorities across the Company.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
• 10 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/ MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
• 12 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
• Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school with strong academic credentials required
• Admitted to bar in good standing
• 8 or more years’ attorney experience, preferably in both top law firm and in-house environments, including at least 3 years of experience as AML and Economic Sanctions regulatory counsel in trade association, corporate, government or law firm environment.
• Experience advising on export control issues is preferred
• Experience in payments industry, banking or financial services sector, with experience with the emerging and mobile payment technology landscape a plus
• Ability to provide practical, strategic and business-oriented legal advice
• Ability to effectively represent Visa before a variety of governmental bodies at state and federal levels
• Ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management and work within cross-functional teams to develop solutions to complex legal/business issues
• Ability to effectively manage multiple time sensitive tasks
• Must be detail-oriented and demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
COLORADO APPLICANTS ONLY: The estimated salary range for a new hire into this position in Colorado is 184,600 USD to 240,000 USD. Salary may vary depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position is eligible for annual bonus and equity.
Visa has a comprehensive benefits package for which this position is eligible that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (k), FSA/HSA, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, and Wellness Program.
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Job posted: 2022-09-12