Senior Counsel/Counsel, Technology Policy
Senior Counsel / Counsel, Technology Policy
Common Sense (https://www.commonsense.org/) is the leading independent nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Apple TV, Target.com, Xfinity, Vudu.com, and many other partner platforms, helping kids and families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
THE JOB: Together with policymakers, industry leaders, and global media partners, the Senior Counsel/Counsel position will help to build a digital world that works better for all kids, their families, and our country by leading advocacy efforts on digital privacy and platform accountability policy at Common Sense. They will work to advance protections and improve safeguards and accountability for children, teens, and our democracy at the state, federal, and international policy levels. And they’ll do so while developing legislative solutions, engaging in rulemaking, and interacting with the tech industry to create a healthy internet for all.
REPORT TO: Chief Advocacy Officer
LOCATION: Washington, DC, preferred
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Oversee the organization’s privacy and platform accountability advocacy to support kids and families from all backgrounds in the digital age, including:
- Develop and engage on regulatory and legislative agendas for privacy and platform accountability at state, federal, and international levels.
- Advance Common Sense’s tech agenda in Congress, at the FTC, the White House, and other legislative/regulatory bodies.
- Oversee work on EU, UK, and other international tech policy reforms.
- Research and analyze legislative, regulatory, and industry tech privacy and platform proposals, and develop solutions and policies to improve children’s online privacy, help families navigate digital space, and create a healthier online environment for all kids.
- Draft and contribute to reports, comments, letters, articles, and blogs.
- Represent Common Sense at high-level meetings and in the news media.
- Participate in and help to grow coalitions and maintain relationships with advocates, academics, policymakers, and industry leaders.
- Manage and mentor staff and interns working on technology policy and related issues.
- Communicate across the organization about privacy, platform accountability, and technology issues, working cross-functionally with other teams, including Marketing, Design, Engineering, and Communications.
- Pitch in on other advocacy projects as needed.
- Travel occasionally to hearings and to San Francisco headquarters.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- JD/law degree.
- 8+ (Senior Counsel) or 5+ (Counsel) years of experience working in privacy and technology law and/or policy, preferably experience working on congressional or federal executive branch issues.
- Prefer, but do not require, experience working on technology’s impacts on children and/or students.
- Working knowledge of consumer privacy laws, such as COPPA, CCPA/CPRA, GDPR, FERPA, and related areas like Section 230, advertising, and Section 5 of the FTC Act.
- Relationships with decision-makers in industry, government, academia, and nonprofits.
THE X FACTOR:
- A passion for Common Sense’s mission to serve all children and families, and a creative and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, relationship-building, and presentation skills, and an excellent writer.
- Strong management skills across time zones and disciplines.
- Team player who takes initiative and identifies advocacy opportunities.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
Job posted: 2021-11-06