Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Counsel, Lobbying and Law Practice
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, D.C.
The Senior Counsel – Lobbying and Law Practice is responsible for providing legal advice and training to the lawyers across the organization on issues of lobbying, lobbying registration and reporting, compliance with ethical guidelines with particular emphasis on conflicts of interest. The position is located within Earthjustice’s General Counsel’s office, and reports to Earthjustice’s Deputy General Counsel.
- Conduct research on laws governing lobbying including lobbying registration and reporting in a variety of jurisdictions.
- Advise and assist Earthjustice attorneys and staff regarding lobbying, including registration and reporting.
- Develop policies and best practices related to lobbying and lobbying registration and reporting compliance.
- Prepare and deliver training on lobbying to staff.
- Audit/revise lobbying registrations and periodic reports.
- Consult outside counsel on lobbying rules when appropriate.
- Participate in lobbying budgeting and strategy development.
- Other duties as assigned.
Law Practice and Professional Responsibility (40%):
- Advise and assist Earthjustice attorneys and staff in connection with professional responsibility matters, primarily the identification and resolution of conflicts of interest.
- Counsel Earthjustice attorneys and staff regarding professional responsibility and risk mitigation, primarily conflict of interest issues associated with new matters, negotiation of client engagement terms, review of lateral attorney/paralegal/legal assistant candidates, and integrity of ethical walls.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve or make recommendations for the conflicts of interest resolution and other ethical issues related to new Earthjustice matters across all practice groups.
- Conduct research on professional responsibility matters, including conflicts of interest.
- Consult outside counsel as needed.
- Provide training.
- Identify and oversee incremental improvements to conflicts checking process as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities (10%):
- Oversee work of conflicts analysts.
- Contribute to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- J.D. with strong academic record required
- Active law license in good standing in state where practicing; California state Bar admission required.
- At least 5 years of successful experience practicing law required
- Experience advising on Rules of Professional Responsibility required
- Non-profit experience, although it can be through pro bono preferred
- Knowledge of state and federal lobbying laws preferred
- Experience supervising staff and contributing to training and organizational learning preferred.
- Prior experience with conflicts of interest resolution or risk management in a law firm environment highly preferred.
- Substantive knowledge of Rules of Professional Conduct and current state of professional responsibility issues.
- Excellent written and verbal skills required to communicate complex legal issues.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required to handle numerous matters simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to interact with lawyers, Earthjustice leadership, clients, prospective new hires, and other Earthjustice staff on a regular basis.
- Ability to work effectively and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Ability and desire to master an array of lobbying laws.
- Ability to quickly grasp, research and assess a broad range of professional responsibility or lobbying issues and present sensible solutions and alternatives.
- Ability to summarize information and succinctly and clearly communicate analyses verbally and in writing to a range of internal clients.
- Willingness to “roll up sleeves” and work with limited support.
- Strong attention to detail and care in executing written work.
- Demonstrated integrity, strong work ethic, and sound judgment.
- Outstanding communication skills, including the ability to translate complex legal concepts into layman’s terms and provide informative training and instruction to groups of staff.
- Strong ability to juggle multiple projects, prioritize, meet deadlines, and see tasks through to completion.
- Management skills, including the ability to motivate others to perform well, provide regular performance feedback, develop staff skills, and strive for ways to improve.
- Ability to leverage technology, particularly cloud-based platforms.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Support for Earthjustice’s mission and advocacy-based approach to solving environmental problems.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Salary for San Francisco, CA:$156,200 – $173,600
Remote Salary: $132,800 – $173,600
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should the following via Jobvite:
- Cover letter
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies. Earthjustice only accepts resumes submitted for positions that are currently open. Unsolicited resumes, or resumes for posted positions that are not submitted via the on-line application process (where available), will not be reviewed or retained.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Job posted: 2022-01-04