Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Counsel, Regulatory
Tesla is seeking an experienced counsel to work on vehicle safety, compliance and homologation support, government reporting, and support for service and engineering. You will provide strategic policy and business development advice and counsel pertaining to Tesla’s business and products through existing and new regulatory regimes. Duties will include traditional functions such as monitoring, advice and counsel regarding new product development, general regulatory support, as well as strategic advising on policy development and advocacy associated with regulations affecting the automotive industry, including autonomous vehicles. As Managing Counsel, Regulatory you will ensure compliance with applicable rules, regulations, and statutory requirements including U.S. Department of Transportation and Environmental Protection Agency regulations. You will also assist in development of these laws and regulations with those agencies and other policy makers. The role includes a combination of law, policy, and advocacy. At the direction of the company, the successful candidate works independently in performing legal and policy tasks that are broad in scope. This position can be based in Washington DC, Austin, Texas, or Fremont, California.
- Work on governmental regulatory investigations and other government inquiries – including NHTSA, EU, and comparable work in other regions.
- Work on government interactions and reporting obligations – TREAD, recall reporting, compliance reporting for new products, FOIA.
- Support Service on regulatory-related programs.
- Support and Counsel homologation, engineering, and Autopilot departments in the development of new vehicles and features.
- Provide proactive advice and counsel on affecting new laws and regulations applicable to the automotive industry with a focus on leveraging those laws and regulations to support and promote battery electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles and connected vehicles.
- Reduce risk associated with non-compliance with existing laws and regulations.
- Advise on compliance with various worldwide rules related to the auto industry.
- Participate in meetings of various compliance related matters and safety reviews.
- Manage outside counsel, lobbyists and in-house resources in connection with the foregoing.
- Formulate and influence forward-looking policy regarding battery electric vehicles.
- Draft, review and negotiate legal documents.
- Protect Tesla from regulatory risk through compliance and risk management.
- Make final decisions on complex legal problems and determine when a legal matter requires consultation or coordination with government offices, agencies or departments, or commercial organization.
- JD Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Member of a state bar.
- 8-12 years of experience in regulatory, government relations, and/or product liability
- Ability to absorb and synthesize wide variety of laws and regulations.
- Ability to exercise business and legal judgment with strong problem-solving, research, and project management skills and work closely with business.
- Preferably, experience working for an automaker, auto supplier, government safety agency, or law firm supporting same.
- Preferably, having an engineering or technical background, and/or significant transportation or vehicle experience.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-05