Senior Counsel, State Regulatory Affairs
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Provide legal support regarding state laws that regulate Rivian’s business including, but not limited to sales, service, delivery and other customer facing business units.
- Establish or revise existing legal compliance strategies for sales, service and delivery rollout.
- Provide legal support to the overall Policy team efforts to understand the impacts of various state laws to Rivian’s business and support Policy team efforts to change laws that are impediments to Rivian’s business model.
- Cross team with various Rivian divisions, including Legal, Corporate Strategy, Retail, Service, Delivery, Digital Commerce, Customer Experience, Communications and others with respect to tactics and strategies most supportive of Rivian’s business plans.
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years of legal experience in government, corporate in-house and/or with a large law firm dealing with state laws governing automotive manufacture, distribution, sales and service, or analogous areas.
- Familiarity with automotive commercial legal issues at the state level.
- Understanding of the impacts of federal laws to state regulation of motor vehicles.
- A track record of superior accomplishment and ability.
- A thorough understanding of policy, legislative procedure and regulatory processes.
- A proven track record of leadership and autonomy in a fast-paced and dynamic atmosphere with the ability to work cooperatively with a diverse group of partners and stakeholders both internally and externally.
- A strong work ethic and “can-do” spirit.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task on diverse issues simultaneously.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Juris Doctor (or equivalent) from a recognized and reputable educational institution.
- Willingness to travel (approximately 30%).
- Direct experience with automotive franchise law related to direct sales of electric vehicles.
- Direct experience with a technology start up organization.
- Direct state level experience on regulation of sales and service of motor vehicles.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-20