Senior Digital Communications Strategist
Alliance for Justice is seeking an experienced digital communications professional to join our team as Senior Digital Communications Strategist. The Senior Digital Communications Strategist oversees the organization’s social media channels and designs strategy for the three main AFJ/AFJAC websites (AFJ, Bolder Advocacy, and AFJAC) and all email marketing efforts. In partnership with other members of the communications team, they help implement an overall digital media strategy, as well as discrete campaigns as needed. They ensure digital properties align with AFJ’s overall strategy and effectively engage key audiences around AFJ’s work.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop and implement strategies for growing the digital presence and advancing the work of AFJ, AFJAC and Bolder Advocacy across each of the organization’s major digital platforms (email, website, social media);
• Produce compelling visual and written content and programming for AFJ, AFJAC and Bolder Advocacy’s primary social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube) including rapid response and evergreen content;
• Identify, recommend, and implement new digital media strategies and new digital platforms (Snapchat, TikTok, etc.) based on best practices in digital communications and progressive, nonprofit advocacy;
• Lead multifaceted digital campaigns designed to generate user engagement around calls to action, grow organizational email lists, and drive small dollar fundraising;
• Develop content for Digital Toolkits for AFJ, AFJAC and Bolder Advocacy’s coalition partners and allies on the Hill;
• Serve as strategic digital advisor to partner organizations or coalition members as part of our campaigns and movement partnerships;
• Create readouts and analytics reports on AFJ, AFJAC and Bolder Advocacy’s digital platforms (website and social media) and campaigns;
• Lead ongoing graphic design tasks using Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc;
• Lead organizational SEO strategy and implementation;
• Support AFJ branding and messaging consistency across all media;
• Direct web manager on website development and design.
• Commitment to progressive causes;
• Ability to multi-task and thrive in a high-paced environment;
• Minimum 5-7 years of communications and digital storytelling experience. Understanding of strategic messaging and strong writing skills for all social platforms;
• Experience writing and executing email campaigns for progressive nonprofits or political campaigns;
• Understanding of social media and online communications;
• Familiarity with HTML, WordPress/other Content Management Systems and CRMs.
• Strong project management skills;
• Experience with Google Ad Words and SEO strategy;
• Fluency in a wide variety of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube and TikTok.
• Experience in video editing and graphic design are a plus.
• Broad understanding of web production and online marketing.
• Excellent writing, conceptual, analytical, and organizational skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and setting priorities.
• Strong experience with WordPress; familiarity with HTML and CSS.
• Experience with Google Ad Words and SEO strategy.
• Knowledge and prior use of Adobe Creative Suite helpful.
• Experience with email segmentation and communication strategies, specifically for increasing action rates for fundraising and advocacy.
• Highly organized, attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
• Sense of humor, creative energy, proactive and a great team player.
• Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations, team-oriented; problem solver; relationship-builder; and strong inter-personal skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
• Ability to meet regular attendance and tardiness policy.
The salary range is $90,000-$110,000 commensurate with experience. AFJ provides a comprehensive benefits package including medical, prescription, optional vision, dental, flexible spending account, and life and disability insurance, as well as commuter benefits and retirement programs.
This position has one direct report, the Web Manager.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Washington, DC – Currently working remotely.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Senior Digital Communications Strategist in your subject line and submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE).
AFJ/AFJAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ/AFJAC prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or income.
This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.
Job posted: 2021-09-19