Senior Director of 5G Policy & External Affairs
The Senior Director of 5G Policy & External Affairs is a highly visible and influential role residing in Microsoft’s Corporate, External & Legal Affairs organization (CELA).
As nations deploy 5G, new cloud- and edge-based approaches to connectivity will enable breakthrough technologies, including autonomous vehicles, smart cities, virtual reality, and Internet-of-Things use-cases. Meanwhile, governments across the globe are making investments to drive economic growth based on 5G innovation. Our government partners understand their important roles in shaping this future through well-informed regulations, economic stimulus, and programs that bring together the strengths of public and private sectors.
Microsoft’s Azure for Operators initiative, built on the acquisitions of industry leaders Affirmed Networks and Metaswitch Networks, and on the development of Azure Edge Zones, provides Microsoft with a unique ability to support governments, telecommunications operators, and enterprises on this journey.
We are seeking an experienced leader who can envision and execute policy programs at a global scale and build Microsoft’s reputation as a trusted partner across government and industry stakeholders.
You will lead a small but mighty team with the following primary responsibilities:
- Policy Agenda – In deep partnership with engineering, business development, sales, and subject matter experts within and outside of CELA, lead the development, execution, and continuous improvement of Microsoft’s policy agenda in support of Microsoft’s next generation connectivity (5G, 6G and beyond). Align policy goals internally with impacted stakeholders across Microsoft. Policy advocacy will span a wide variety of subject matters including critical infrastructure, cybersecurity, data sovereignty, spectrum, standards, sustainability, telecommunications and more.
- External Communications – Drive a story telling framework, communications calendar, and bill of materials for use by the global government affairs community and other stakeholders to further Microsoft’s policy agenda and business goals.
- Proof Points – In partnership with global government affairs and product teams, formulate, structure, and execute on a set of “test bed” programs that harness the potential of mobile cloud native, edge enabled networks in key geographical markets and serve as concrete proof points in support of our policy and business goals.
- Coalition Building – Develop and participate in industry coalitions and alliances that further Microsoft’s policy and business goals.
- Strategy – Influence the evolution of Microsoft’s mobile cloud native, edge-enabled network strategy based on learning from both internal and external stakeholders and proactive analysis of industry, policy, and secular trends.
- Executive Communications – Ensure that Senior Leadership is informed of and engaged on policy developments and external storytelling opportunities as appropriate.
- People Management – Help employees identify growth opportunities, develop skills, and build development plans. Lead with empathy and transparency.
- 10+ years of experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, standards, or related experience
- Management experience
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Envision and implement global public policy initiatives on complex and highly technical topics
- Simplify the complex
- Grow impact by implementing scalable yet flexible processes
- Establish a trusted advisor relationship across varied constituents
- Thrive in ambiguity and exercise confident judgment in fluid environments
- Technical Acumen – Must have the desire and ability to develop technical and industry expertise in next generation connectivity solutions. Must feel confident explaining technical concepts to a wide variety of audiences.
- Prior experience in or related to the telecommunications industry preferred
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-01