Senior Director of Communications
The Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) is the world’s premier business travel and meetings organization headquartered in the Washington, D.C. area with operations on six continents. GBTA’s 9,000 plus members manage more than $345 billion of global business travel and meetings expenditures annually. For forty years the Association has dedicated itself to the professional development of its members and the advancement of the business travel management community through advocacy, education and training and networking opportunities.
Through the efforts of its member committees, volunteers, and professional staff, GBTA monitors developments in worldwide business travel and provides time-sensitive research and critical industry information. The association also takes the industry’s story to the media and the public and acts as a key advisor to the industry’s interests on Capitol Hill. Committed to the advancement of the business travel profession, GBTA offers numerous education programs, training, and certifications and holds an annual international convention.
The Sr. Director of Communications will lead GBTA’s communications and research strategy and execution, reporting directly to the CEO. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Sr. Director of Communications is expected to provide input to drive the overall strategy and direction of the Association and business travel industry – setting up GBTA as “the” thought leader on business travel and its future around the world. The role oversees the development of messaging and communication strategies related to GBTA efforts including advocacy, research, events, member engagement, and education. This position also oversees GBTA’s communications distribution channels and content – including but not limited to video, podcast, blog, and social media content.
- Lead and inspire communications and research team members and contractors on global communications and research strategy and efforts.
- Lead media outreach strategy to support advocacy, education, event, and research goals
- Create an overarching vision for, and deliver a high-quality output of, research-related projects. Fuel new insights, create learnings, challenge hypotheses, and drive the business travel industry forward – e.g., around new economic indicators, business activity, sustainability practices, risk and security, and the future of work as it relates to the travel industry and professionals who work here.
- Work with sales leadership and teams to promote sponsorships of research projects. Develop strong relationships with sponsor media relations and marketing teams on collaborative projects.
- In concert with Government Relations VP, drive advocacy communications, positioning GBTA as an industry thought leader
- Develop and manage innovative communications channels to drive higher visibility, awareness, and consumption of GBTA multi-media messaging – including video, podcasts, blogs, and social media
- Draft speeches, scripts, and talking points for Association executives and leadership at global events.
- Manage member and Board public communications in concert with CEO.
- In concert with marketing and sales, develop promotional campaigns related to strategic messaging and research insights that serve the business travel industry and the Association itself.
- Draft press releases, Op-Eds, PR plans.
- Oversee GBTA Studio video efforts – including running in-house Studio and on-location Studios at Conferences in Canada, Europe, and Mexico.
- 10-12 years of progressive experience in Communications/Public Relations with a reputable, global PR firm or related in-house PR experience with a Fortune 500 company.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Master’s degree preferred.
- Master storyteller – experience setting an inspiring agenda for an entire industry or corporate function.
- 5+ years team management experience
- Have led/used research in a meaningful way to drive storytelling, learning, and collaboration.
- Experience with advanced, data-driven public relations strategies and techniques – with proven results.
- Experience with managing multi-media, multi-channel PR strategies and messaging: including but not limited to virtual meetings, videos/podcasts, speech writing, press release writing, web blogging, and copy editing.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and tight deadlines works well under pressure
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to work additional hours outside of normal business hours.
- Strong relationships with reporters and industry collaborators – trade, top-tier consumer, multi-regional, international.
- A team-oriented attitude, strong people skills, and good judgment, including the ability to manage a variety of personalities when working with volunteer leadership.
- Proficiency with MS Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Execution and Measurement with various Data/Channel requirements: e.g., Familiarity with measuring impact from media placements, Google Ads, paid social promotions across various platforms.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of business travel industry/transportation/hospitality issues.
- Experience in government/legislative affairs.
- Multiple languages and global experience.
- Familiarity with and active in industry organizations and associations.
- APR certified.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to work a variety of hours in order to accommodate events.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time during events.
- 10-25% based on events and nee by GBTA.
- Travel to Annual Convention, possible travel to other events as needed by GBTA.
- For remotely located candidates, ability to work from Alexandria, VA, office from time to time.
GBTA is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-18