Senior Director, Communications
Aerospace Industries Association (AIA)
Department: Communications and Legislative Affairs
To learn more about AIA, please visit: https://www.aia-aerospace.org/about-aia/
The AIA Communications team plays an essential role in AIA’s advocacy and outreach efforts on behalf of the Aerospace and Defense industry and its more than two million employees. The Senior Director of Communications will play a crucial role in these efforts and in telling our industry’s story, including how it contributes to America’s safety, security, and economic success. This is a high-profile role for a “complete communicator,” someone who has a proven track record of success in all forms of communication ranging from media relations, to message development, to analyzing opinion research, to drafting materials and speeches—all in an extremely fast-paced environment. In addition to playing a leadership role on the Communications team, this person must have exceptional writing and editing skills because they will also serve as the primary writer for AIA’s President and CEO, developing a wide range of communications materials, including internal and external speeches, blog posts, Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, and other high-visibility communications.
Experience working in or with the Executive Branch and/or with Members and staff on Capitol Hill a must. The position reports to the VP of Communications and will work closely with the AIA communications team, our CEO, our senior leadership team, and our member companies.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Play a major role in helping to develop and deploy a comprehensive media relations strategy that incorporates print, broadcast, and online media channels, as well as social media to increase overall media coverage and industry awareness.
- Build on well-established past media contacts and develop relationships with new contacts on behalf of AIA and its member companies to expand communications across multiple policy topic beats
- Manage media interviews and provide media relations coaching and support for AIA teammates
- Researches and writes speeches for the President in support of the association’s advocacy and outreach to external and internal audiences including member companies, media, government officials, and other stakeholders.
- Is the association’s editorial expert, responsible for editing a wide variety of public policy documents, as well as some communications to member companies.
- Writes persuasively and creatively, distills complex technical and policy statements into easy-to-understand statements.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 10-12 years of public affairs and media relations experience, including at senior levels—with a proven track record of delivering results and building relationships with members of the media.
- Proven experience in helping lead a team of communications professionals.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously is a must.
- Experience working with the Executive Branch and/or Capitol Hill or as a journalist preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate the vision, programs and value of AIA to various audiences.
- Demonstrated experience working in a highly collaborative environment while developing and maintaining positive work relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and deliver on extremely tight deadlines
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent work experience required.
To Apply, please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter
- Three (3) References [Name, Title, Contact information]
AIA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression or Veteran status. Consistent with our AIA’s commitment to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better organization and better results. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage
Job posted: 2021-07-22