National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health (NLIRH)
Washington, DC; New York, NY
Job Description: NLIRH seeks an experienced, resourceful and detail-oriented individual with strong written communication skills (English and Spanish), management skills and analytical abilities as the Senior Director of Communications and Public Affairs. This role will lead the development and implementation of communications strategies to build Latina power for reproductive health and justice. The person in this position will work as part of a dynamic team and in coalition with movement partners, and will execute on strategies that promote NLIRH’s organizing, advocacy, and movement-building work in the areas of abortion access and affordability, immigrant women’s health and rights, and sexual and reproductive health equity. The Senior Director of Communications and Public Affairs must be able to develop and lead sophisticated, research-based communications strategies, write for a range of audiences, and liaise with members of the press, policymakers, and advocacy community. They must also be able to lead a team and serve as head of the Communications and Public Affairs Department.
The Senior Director of Communications and Public Affairs is supervised by the Deputy Director and reports to both the Deputy Director and Executive Director. This person will also serve as part of the Senior Leadership Team, working as part of a larger dynamic organization with staff in New York City, Washington, DC, Virginia, Texas and Florida.
Position Location: Washington, DC or New York, NY
- Serve as head of Communications and Public Affairs work and supervise Public Affairs department staff;
- Develop, implement, and oversee effective communications plan designed to enhance and elevate the mission of NLIRH;
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with the media and consultants;
- Advance NLIRH’s position with relevant constituents and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences;
- Administer the communications and public relations initiatives as determined by the larger organizational strategic planning process;
- Facilitate media implementation, including proactive story pitching and interview management;
- Develop and manage media list;
- Build and cultivate relationships between NLIRH and high-profile journalists;
- Conduct outreach to traditional media to pitch and promote state-based Latina Advocacy Network (LAN) work;
- Oversee opinion research plan;
- Oversee the tracking, measuring and reporting of communications and social media metrics;
- Serve as executive editor for the development, production and maintenance of the NLIRH’s internal and external communication vehicles, including the main website, marketing materials, print and online publications, and annual reports;
- Cultivate, maintain, strengthen and leverage excellent working relationships with media, government agencies, elected and appointed officials and other social justice organizations;
- In collaboration with Government Relations, coordinate and participate in meetings with members of Congress, state legislators, staffers and colleagues in the fields of reproductive health, Latino/a civil rights, economic justice and immigrant rights;
- Strengthen relationships and collaborative partnerships with other advocacy organizations in the field of women’s/reproductive rights, Latino civil rights, immigrant rights, LGBTQ equality and public health;
- Communicate, coordinate and strategize with coalition partners in public affairs positions in order to advance a reproductive justice agenda within other social movements;
- Track and record all lobbying efforts in a timely manner;
- Represent NLIRH in national and local coalitions;
- Manage communications and public affairs contracts.
- Degree from accredited college or university and at least 5-10 years’ experience in federal and/or state government relations/communications;
- Strong media relations and PR skills to include high level media exposure and PR campaign execution;
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy and media relations;
- Candidates must have extensive knowledge of reproductive health and rights issues and related social justice issues (immigration, Latino civil rights, etc.) with experience in policy advocacy and coalition building;
- Substantial legislative/administrative policy development and advocacy experience preferred;
- Superior analytical, writing, speaking and advocacy skills;
- Outstanding organizational and communications skills, including ability to interact with staff, members of our Board of Directors, community/organizational leaders, media, elected and appointed officials, and the general public;
- Experience with serving as media spokesperson a must, along with social media savvy;
- Candidates must possess excellent written and oral communications skills in both Spanish and English;
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive justice and/or Latino civil rights a must;
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high level of integrity and sound judgment and ability to communicate and work collaboratively across the organization openly and with respect.
Salary & Benefits: Competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
Application procedure: Please send a resume, a writing sample (and links to samples of video clips or blog posts, if applicable), a cover letter that includes salary history and/or requirements via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Please write Senior Director of Communications & Public Affairs on the e-mail subject line. Position will be open until filled.
Job Posted: March 12, 2017