Senior Director, Congressional Affairs, Government Affairs & Policy
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Senior Director, Congressional Affairs, Government Affairs & Policy
Reporting to the Head of Congressional Affairs, the Sr. Director, Congressional Affairs will play an integral role in developing and implementing coordinated advocacy strategies, initiatives and engagements with federal policymakers around issues that impact the biopharmaceutical industry. Based in Washington, D.C., the Senior Director of Congressional Affairs will be a member of the Government Affairs & Policy (GA&P) team and will work closely with State Government Affairs, Policy and Therapeutic Area leads (i.e., HIV, Liver, Inflammation, Oncology & Cell Therapy).
This role will help ensure patient access to Gilead therapies by advocating for and advancing policies relating to federal public programs, including Medicare and Medicaid. Additional issue areas of focus may include intellectual property, public health programs, and trade. This role will also be responsible for contacts with the key federal committees of jurisdiction and member offices engaged on these issues.
The Sr. Director of Congressional Affairs will also work to educate Members of Congress and staff about the challenges facing patients with HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B and C and other liver related diseases, and cancer, as well as advance federal health policies that improve the treatment of these diseases. The position will play an integral role in helping Gilead build relationships with federal legislators.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Work cross-functionally with legal, commercial, and public affairs colleagues to develop and execute advocacy strategies designed to advance Gilead’s legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Engage with key lawmakers and staff to monitor pending legislative activities and advocate for policies that advance Gilead’s strategic positions and initiatives.
- Draft advocacy materials that articulate rationales in support of policy positions and prepare oral and written materials for internal audiences that summarize legislative and regulatory activities in Washington and explain their potential impact upon Gilead.
- Serve as a liaison with trade associations, coalitions and partnerships that represent the biopharmaceutical industry and advocate for policies that seek to protect patients’ access to innovative medicines. Participate in committees, work groups and related activities to advocate for Gilead priorities and leverage the work of these groups to support Gilead’s advocacy activities.
- Demonstrate strong analytic and research skills, including a familiarity with legislative, regulatory and policy materials, as well as significant experience engaging in the health care policymaking process.
- Direct, supervise and manage contract lobbyist in support of Gilead’s advocacy efforts.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- This position requires a self-starter and team-player able to exercise significant discretion and independent strategic discernment.
- Experience with Congressional Committees and/or federal agencies with jurisdiction over healthcare is especially relevant.
- Multiple years of experience working as a retail lobbyist that includes experience with strategy development and execution.
- Understanding of the approval, coverage and reimbursement processes for prescription drugs, the 340B program and intellectual property laws applicable to drugs and biologics.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities, including experience with the use of PowerPoint and related tools to make effective presentations.
- Proven ability to build effective relationships with internal and external constituencies and work as part of a cross-functional team advocating on complex health policy issues.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with experience running multiple projects and deadlines effectively.
- Corporate experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
- BS or BA degree and 14 + years of prior experience in government, government affairs, public affairs or policy role. MA or MBA and minimum 8 years of relevant experience preferred.
Gilead Core Values:
- Integrity (Doing What’s Right),
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity),
- Teamwork (Working Together),
- Excellence (Being Your Best),
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility).
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercialises innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-08