Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director, Corporate Communications
Spero Therapeutics (Nasdaq: SPRO) is a multi-asset pre-commercial stage biopharmaceutical company in Cambridge, Mass. We are highly committed to advancing novel treatment approaches for bacterial infections with a world-class team of biotechnological and biopharmaceutical experts. The company has a pipeline of novel and highly differentiated antibacterial and rare disease product candidates focused on patients’ unmet needs with multi-drug resistant (MDR) bacterial infections. Spero’s lead product candidate, tebipenem HBr, is an oral carbapenem being developed as the first oral carbapenem antibiotic for use in complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) and acute pyelonephritis (AP). In September 2020, Spero announced positive top-line results from its Phase 3 ADAPT-PO clinical trial of tebipenem HBr in cUTI and AP, and in October 2021, Spero filed a new drug application for tebipenem HBr in these indications. Spero is also developing SPR720, its oral antimicrobial agent in development for the treatment of nontuberculous mycobacterial (NTM) pulmonary disease, a rare orphan disease. Spero’s third product candidate, SPR206, is an IV-administered agent being developed as an innovative option to treat MDR Gram-negative bacterial infections.
We believe that our novel product candidates will have a meaningful impact on patient health and significant commercial applications for treating MDR infections in hospitals and community settings.
The Head of Corporate Communications will report into the VP, Corporate Affairs, leading all external and internal US Corporate Communications activities, including corporate and brand strategic communications; media relations, corporate identity, brand and reputation, issues management, corporate website, and social platforms. Collaborate on corporate press releases with IR and Corporate Affairs. The Head of Corporate Communications will be a critical strategic leadership role within the department and will be responsible for ensuring proactive management of PR/media activities and communications, working across the business and Corporate Affairs. The Head of Corporate Communications must have a proven track in building corporate reputations through successful corporate communications strategies, brand launches and issues management. The Head of Corporate Communications must demonstrate the ability to navigate and collaborate across functions and with senior management.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the VP, CA as key Corporate Communications strategist, managing and shaping our global corporate brand and reputation.
- Develop and manage the company’s approach to risk/issues management, working with senior management and across the organization to ensure seamless coordination and understanding of accountability and actions to be taken if/when issues arise.
- Lead product data, regulatory and launch communication strategies, as well as brand PR initiatives to raise awareness of the company’s innovative therapies to multiple external audiences.
- Shape and implement corporate, product and pipeline messaging across the company and in externally-facing communications (PR, website, etc.).
- Drive a holistic approach to PR, media relations, corporate and internal communications, ensuring close coordination with Investor Relations.
- Oversee the creation of strategic messaging and corporate communications materials, including company narrative and positioning, Q&As, and spokesperson training and preparation. Collaborate and coordinate press releases with Investor Relations and Corporate Affairs
- Oversee management of the company website and other corporate assets to ensure regulatory compliance and consistency with corporate brand strategy and strategic messaging.
- Drive coordinated and consistent employee storytelling and manage internal communications channels.
- Develop and implement integrated social media strategies to complement and amplify corporate and brand public relations campaigns.
- Manage outside communications agencies in support of all of the above functions.
What you’ll need
- Minimum 10 or more years of progressive leadership in a related field and within a biotech and/or pharmaceuticals company or at a communications/PR agency, handling corporate communications, product communications, social media, clinical data communications, pre-approval and product launch communications strategies, issues management, media relations, corporate philanthropy, and collaboration with advocacy/professional alliance programs.
- A Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred.
- Proven brand launch leadership experience
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others across business units, functional departments, geographies and disciplines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including excellent presentation, facilitation and listening skills.
- Skilled in communicating complex scientific information to a variety of audiences.
- Detail-oriented, self-initiating, organized, and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and independently.
- Fluency in regulatory and compliance standards in the healthcare industry.
- Management experience preferred
- A high level of energy and passion toward patients, science and public health.
- Experience working with multiple external stakeholders, both domestically and internationally.
- Demonstrated ability to operate successfully within a dynamic team culture and changing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead through influence and network. Highly professional demeanor and diplomatic skills. Ability to create effective partnerships at all levels of the organization as a collaborative team player.
- Results-orientation in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and managing resources.
- Strong work ethic; highest standards of ethics and compliance with laws.
By joining our committed and highly motivated team, you’ll experience a workplace culture that is inclusive, fair, challenging, supportive, and respectful. Spero’s culture is one that emphasizes “servant leadership,” or putting ego aside and working for the benefit of the team and our patients, and values our colleagues’ opinions and celebrates accomplishments in service of patients.
As a federal contractor, Spero Therapeutics is required to comply with Executive Order 14042, which requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 absent a bona fide medical reason or genuine religious belief relating to vaccinations. All employees must be in compliance with Spero Therapeutics’ COVID-19 vaccine policy prior to the commencement of their employment.
Spero Therapeutics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job posted: 2021-12-29