Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director – EU Regulatory Affairs
Job Description And Responsibilities
The Senior Director EU Regulatory Affairs is a key full-time role focused on Visa’s EU policy and regulatory affairs. The role requires managing the Regulatory Affairs team in Brussels and implement Visa’s Europe regulatory strategy to ensure regulatory/policy frameworks in Europe that are conducive to a fair, competitive and successful operating environment for Visa’s current and future business. This position will be based in Brussels and will report directly to the VP Government Engagement Europe.
Delivering against and further development of key EU Regulatory Affairs work streams will be critical. These include –
- Develop and implement an effective short/medium/long term Government Engagement strategy in Brussels to position Visa as trusted partner.
- Work with think tanks, research centres, academia etc on thought leadership initiatives
- Identify and articulate internally the regulatory challenges and opportunities for Visa and translate them into actionable recommendations for commercial and product teams.
- Develop position papers on key policy and regulatory matters.
- Support and advise Senior Execs in relation to their engagement strategy
- Share know how and expertise with GE counterparties in other Regions
- Prominently positioning Visa with regulatory and policy decision-makers in the Brussels arena, in close cooperation with the Government Engagement team
- Work to ensure positive impact on Visa’s business, and the expansion of the digital payments industry in general, of any proposed regulatory policies, including at the EU level
- Work to reform existing regulatory policies where they detract from a fair, level and successful operating environment for Visa’s business, particularly where they impose regulatory burdens unequally
- Represent Visa at relevant forums
- Ensure optimization of meeting targets and Government Engagement objectives by introducing best practices
- Assisting the VP Government Engagement Europe in identifying strategic engagement opportunities with regulators and policy makers to ensure Visa is well positioned to influence the regulatory set up in digital payments and related policies in Europe, and
- Driving the continuous enhancement of Visa Regulatory Affairs function, toolkit and staff.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- This position requires the ability to manage effectively the Regulatory Affairs team members, ensuring they cooperate seamlessly amongst themselves to meet their goals in alignment with Visa regulatory and business strategy in the Region,
- You will develop and implement an overall EU regulatory affairs strategy in close coordination with the VP Government Engagement Europe and the GE team members,
- Working constructively with different markets and other functions, you will operate simultaneously in the regional and global environment. Working as a member of cross-functional teams is essential. Crisis management and response skills are imperative for this position.
- You will openly communicate timely and effectively with executives to ensure awareness of main regulatory developments and strategy to protect Visa business and reputation
- You should have the ability to work independently and lead a team is expected and some travel in the Region are also features of the position.
- Supervising management of Visa’s relationships with officials at key regulators in Brussels through the Regulatory Affairs team.
- You will promote Visa’s reputation and profile by speaking at public events, industry conferences, trade associations, payment roundtables, etc.
• Experience in relevant corporate positions, regulatory or government agency, and/or consultancy
serving equivalent client,
• Law, Economy or Political Science degree, post graduate studies preferred,
• People management experience needed, including in leading teams in complex matrix
• In-depth knowledge of the electronic payments/banking industry/crypto/fintech.
• Proven ability to operate effectively and efficiently in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
• Strong financial services and/or technology interest,
• Strategic advocacy and effective communication skills required,
• Superior inter-personal skills,
• Budgeting and financial management
• A team player, able to work across various Visa functions
• Excellent written and spoken communication abilities in English. Knowledge of other languages appreciated,
• Active network of regulators and policy makers in Brussels is a plus.
Job posted: 2022-09-12