Senior Director/Executive Director Government Affairs & Policy
With the launch of Lifileucel, a new cell therapy for solid tumors, we seek an exceptional government affairs & policy leader to develop and execute a comprehensive, global government affairs strategies to shape public policy, legislative, and regulatory environments. The Senior Director/Executive Director, Government Affairs & Policy provides strategic direction and supports the United States and key regions to facilitate strategy development, policy development, coalition building with aligned stakeholders, and strategy execution. The candidate will be an integral member of the commercial leadership team that is responsible for leading and developing comprehensive government affairs strategies that shape the public policy environment for existing and pipeline cell therapies for Iovance. This role requires extensive government affairs and policy experiences, strong critical thinking skills, a solution-oriented mindset, and ideally cell/gene therapy experience. This position reports to the VP, Market Access & Policy.
- Monitors healthcare legislative trends, understands healthcare policies, assesses implications of policies, and develops reimbursement strategies that address barriers to provider and patient access.
- Leads communications on commercial goals and priorities in cell therapy and ensure GA&P strategies are aligned with these priorities. Key areas of support include issue identification; political insights on risks and opportunities; strategy and policy development; advocacy to federal, state and Administration policymakers; and, building advocacy and coalitions to shape public policy.
- Understands total cost of care and all aspects of reimbursement (coding, coverage, and payment) for inpatient and outpatient settings across payer segments.
- Leads development of proactive, comprehensive government affairs strategies that includes policy development, message development, coalition building, securing third-party engagement and commentary, direct and indirect advocacy, and creating and disseminating advocacy materials and tools. Direct the execution of these strategies by GA&P and internal cross-functional partners.
- Continually assesses Federal and State policies to assure that any impact to Iovance is understood and communicated to appropriate stakeholders at Iovance. Proactively addressing Iovance views with the appropriate elected officials and/or trade organizations.
- Identifies, develops, and manages strategic relationships with Federal and State elected officials resulting in meaningful partnerships focused on patient benefit.
- Coordinating and leading Iovance meetings with elected Federal and State officials.
- Leads engagement with third-party advocacy organizations (as appropriate), including oncology and health care policy thought leaders, professional societies and aligned patient and provider groups.
- Partners with Market Access to assess potential changes to Government Payer policies with a focus on Medicare and Medicaid. Working with team to develop contingency plans for policy impact(s).
- Stays in close communication with the executive team to proactively discuss policies that may impact Iovance; always being prepared with possible next steps and solutions.
- Partners with the Commercial Leadership team to proactively identify policies that may be critical to Iovance success, including Commercialization success and therapy access.
- Partners with Forecasting to incorporate policy changes into Forecasting assumptions.
- Implements and monitors systems to measure effectiveness and impact of public policy and government affairs activities on the policy environment and company performance.
- Ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures as well as with US/global healthcare laws and regulations.
Education and Qualifications
- BA or BS degree is required. Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in government affairs and policy
- Proven track record and expertise at both the State and Federal government levels
- Experience working closely with industry trade organizations, such as BIO
- Experience partnership with cross-functional colleagues, including Commercial, Advocacy, Legal, and Executive leadership
- Excellent critical and strategic thinking skills
- Experience in oncology launches with inpatient coding, coverage, and payment expertise is required
In-depth knowledge of current US government pricing statutes and regulations including the Medicaid Drug Rebate Program, Public Health Service (340B Program), Medicare Part B (Average Sales Price), Federal Supply Schedule Program, and state reporting requirements
Demonstrated negotiation skills and ability to make sound business arguments to influence external decision makers as well as to establish Iovance’s reputation as a valued business partner
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-15