Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs
Job Summary: The Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs (GA) will be responsible for managing a range of
government relations initiatives and projects to promote the federal policy goals and objectives of the Association for
Accessible Medicines (AAM). The Senior Director will work closely with GA staff and across the organization to develop
the association’s strategy and implement the initiatives of AAM’s government affairs department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lobby Congress on behalf of AAM on a range of federal policy issues impacting generic and biosimilar
manufacturers, and patient access to generic and biosimilar medicines.
• Collaborate across the association and with AAM’s member companies to develop federal policy goals, strategic
plans, and legislative strategy.
• Develop, maintain, and expand relationships and communications with congressional staff on key committees
and with congressional offices as coordinated across the department.
• Ensure AAM is known as a thought and policy leader on issues impacting the generic and biosimilar industry and
identify risks and opportunities for the association.
• Monitor, analyze, and respond to current and potential legislation and congressional action related to the
generic and biosimilar industry.
• Work with AAM, its member companies and congressional staff to organize Capitol Hill policy briefings, Hill days
and AAM Board meetings.
• Promote and further AAM and the industry’s interests at political and governmental events and meetings.
• Cover congressional hearings and markups on issues that affect the generic and biosimilar industry.
• Serve on internal AAM working groups to provide updates to member companies.
• Represent AAM in stakeholder coalitions and with allies as assigned.
• Perform other duties as assigned consistent with the goals of AAM
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
• Familiarity with the generic and biosimilar industry, and its federal legislative priorities.
• Strong relationships with congressional staff, notably with broader committees of jurisdiction.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Exhibits a positive attitude and professional demeanor.
• Exhibits a high degree of personal initiative, ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously, and desire to
achieve success for AAM.
• Exceptional organizational and project management skills for timely implementation of projects involving
multiple functions and external resources.
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment and accomplish tasks with self-direction and provide exemplary
• Ability to work creatively and with flexibility in a fast-paced environment while maintaining high work standards.
• Fluent computer skills, including use of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree in political science, business, public policy, or an equivalent,
• 8+ years of professional experience in government or a government relations role or Congressional or
Administration experience, required.
• Experience in health care policy and/or understanding of the pharmaceutical supply chain, required.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Standard office environment / Virtual work environment consistent with current AAM operational
Travel: up to 15%
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a resume and cover letter.
Job posted: 2021-07-17