Senior Director Federal Government Affairs & Advocacy
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There’s something special about working at Astellas. It’s reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Senior Director, Federal Affairs & Advocacy opportunity to be based in the Washington, DC office.
Purpose & Scope:
The Senior Director, Federal Affairs & Advocacy leads Astellas’ federal affairs activities in the US. This includes but is not limited to developing and executing Astellas’ strategy on federal initiatives and related advocacy programs. The position directs the federal affairs unit in Washington DC and oversees Astellas’ relationships with Congress, the Executive, and other federal affairs stakeholders including policy focused non-governmental organizations to create and maintain a positive federal policy environment for Astellas.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead federal affairs personnel responsible for federal political, legislative and non-governmental outreach and engagement on a bipartisan basis
- Provide direction to Astellas federal contract lobbyists and other vendors to effectuate advocacy action plans
- Guide Astellas’ engagement with national trade associations on federal issues
- Develop and execute federal affairs strategic advocacy plans aligned to Astellas’ business plans
- Collaborate closely with the heads of State Government Affairs, Policy Development & Management, Government & Policy Communications to ensure consistency and effectiveness of strategic and tactical government advocacy activities
- Manage relations with policy-focused advocacy partners and facilitate as appropriate effective coalitions to address Astellas’ federal policy objectives
- Represent Astellas with key Congressional, Executive, and advocacy group
- Support the Policy Development & Management group’s ongoing internal communication, planning and problem solving efforts with internal business units and partners
- Control unit operating budget and spending
Responsible for engagement with officials in the federal government. Manage a group of consultants in both lobbying and advocacy efforts. Control operating budget for federal activities and personnel.
Reports to VP Policy & Government Affairs & Advocacy. Leads the Federal Affairs unit. Collaborates with the Senior Director, State Government Affairs, Senior Director, Policy Development & Management, Senior Director, Government & Policy Communications. Coordinates with Senior Director, Patient Centricity.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- 10 – 15 years of government affairs experience with a combination of public and private sector work
- Comprehensive understanding of pharmaceutical/biotech industry, its issues (e.g. Medicaid/Medicare/Patient Access/Pricing/Taxation) and its business model
- Expertise in federal government political, legislative, regulatory operations and non-profit advocacy including demonstrated effectiveness in building stakeholder and advocate coalitions
- Proven experience networking and creating strong relationships with government and NGO contacts
- Relevant experience in leading efforts within an environment that emphasizes integrity, compliance and shared decision making
- Expertise with in-district lobbying activities and strategy mobilization
- Outstanding performance in the evaluation of competing policy priorities, strategic investments, and likelihood of success on policy issues
- Open, creative leadership style that drives a culture of collaborative thinking and problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to successfully design, coordinate, and achieve project goals, including budget and resource management
- Ability to travel domestically up to 20%
- An advanced degree such as a Juris Doctor, Masters in Public Health, Public Policy, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field is strongly preferred
- Advanced executive training and/or advanced professional development/leadership training
- Strong experience in several of the therapeutic areas or product categories relevant to Astellas (oncology, immunology, rare disease, neurology, women’s health, urology, cardiology, etc.)
- Experience leading a seasoned team
- Past political experience with election campaigns and government operations at a senior level
Learn more here
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job posted: 2020-06-08