Senior Director, Federal Relations and Policy
The Senior Director of Federal Relations and Policy leads the federal level advocacy and policy efforts in alignment with the association’s vision, mission, and values. The Senior Director provides strategic leadership for AACTE’s federal and state policy work and anticipates policy opportunities as the advocacy landscape changes. The Senior Director works collaboratively with AACTE staff, programmatic advisory committees, state chapter leaders, AACTE members, other national education and related associations, and policy makers to develop and enact strategies that address legislative and policy issues impacting the field. The Senior Director supervises the Director of State Relations and works collaboratively to design and implement policies and legislation that align with AACTE mission and strategic priorities. The Senior Director serves as a primary contact for Congress and federal agencies, members, and other parties relative to AACTE’s federal level advocacy efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Position AACTE to be the unrivaled source of all educator preparation policy development and implementation
- Identify key strategic areas for the association to lead in the development of educator preparation policy and legislation at both the federal and state levels
- Track and monitor federal legislative and regulatory developments relevant to educator preparation
- Facilitate and author testimony, letters, position statements, and other communications related to federal and state policy work
- Collaborate with the Director of State Relations to inform and guide the policy initiatives of the Advisory Council of State Representatives (ACSR) Executive Committee and AACTE state chapters
- Represent the interests of the association and its members in legislative and regulatory processes and discussions
- Represent AACTE on multiple advocacy coalitions, including the Committee for Education Funding, the STEM Coalition, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, and the Coalition for Teaching Quality
- Establish positive and productive relationships with congressional offices and federal agencies, especially those that are key to education policy and funding
- Update and advise the Executive and Strategic Teams on policy and political developments relevant to the association’s priorities and member needs
Member Advocacy Training and Development:
- Oversee the development and implementation of AACTE’s Annual Day on the Hill and State Leaders Institute, in conjunction with AACTE staff
- Create and execute advocacy campaigns, in collaboration with AACTE staff and strategic partners, to advance the association’s policy agenda in relation to PK-12 and higher education
- Be knowledgeable about AACTE members who are engaged in exemplary work which can inform policy making
Perform other duties as assigned
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTSTravel for this position will be no more than 30%.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIESThis position will directly supervise the Director of State Relations with the potential to oversee additional team members.
- Master’s degree in political science, public administration, business management, education policy, or a related field required; JD, Ph.D, or Ed.D. preferred
- 8-10 years of public policy, government affairs, or other political work.
- 3-5 years of direct work experience with a state or federal congressional office.
- Proven experience in a relative, supervisory role.
- State or federal lobbying experience.
- Experience as a congressional staff member
- Association experience in senior management role.
WORKING CONDITIONS Working conditions are characteristic of an office setting.Work is performed in an area that is adequately lighted and ventilated.Physical demands required to perform work include walking, standing, bending, and carrying of light items.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-23