Senior Director, Global Communications
Databricks is hiring an experienced communications leader to grow and scale the function globally, as the company continues its hyper-growth and leadership in the Data and AI space. This person will be a key member of the marketing leadership team, which includes peers in brand and corporate marketing, product marketing, partner marketing, and demand generation. Ultimately measured on her/his ability to drive broad and favorable awareness for Databricks, she/he will oversee our global PR and AR programs, executive communications and thought leadership, crisis communications and internal communications, as well as all communications related to the company’s growth strategy and financial initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have held a senior communications role in a public company environment and with a company that is experiencing rapid growth. S/He also will have operated at scale in a complex global environment while still maintaining an entrepreneurial mindset and approach. A track record serving as a trusted advisor to a CEO and executive team is essential. Marketing instincts and brand sensibility are also key. Specific industry experience is less important than excellent communications fundamentals, strong executive presence, and the ability to lead and grow a high performing team.
- Grow the team from 3 to 10+ people globally over the next two years as you build out a world-class in house communications function
- Double our featured business press coverage through thought leadership, executive profiles, and a regular cadence of customer stories.
- Become the trusted thought partner and communications advisor to the CEO through regular engagements that result in high impact content and coverage.
- Broaden our AR program to establish Databricks as a leader in multiple Data and AI-related coverage areas across top tier analysts.
- Grow our bench of reliable global spokespeople to support our needs in every region, with a goal of at least one fully prepared spokesperson for every country that we do business in.
- Establish and maintain internal communications programs that keep employees informed, motivated and inspired, as measured by annual pulse surveys.
- If and when applicable, define and execute an impactful financial communications strategy leading up to IPO and as a public company.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a leader. Manage and grow the global communications function to support the needs of the business. Own and manage close relationships with global agencies to ensure they’re productive, proactive, and regarded as an extension of our internal team.
- Be a doer. We’re still a startup, which means we all wear a lot of hats and nobody is above doing more tactical work. This person must demonstrate a willingness to roll up the sleeves, execute and do whatever it takes to drive results.
- Be a trusted thought partner. Work closely with the CEO and other executives in the company to develop and activate compelling thought leadership platforms.
- Be the defacto communications expert for the company. Know what the rest of us don’t know. Keep a close eye on what’s happening in the industry. Use that knowledge to make informed decisions and defend strategic recommendations with executives.
- Be proactive and highly organized. Make sure our executives and spokespeople are well prepared for every engagement. Always be ready to take advantage of any opportunity to advance our story. Always be prepared to effectively handle communications in the event of a crisis or emergency.
- Be well connected. Establish and maintain close relationships with our most important influencers and advisors. Be a media relations pro.
- Be a great writer. Be passionate about the story, refining it, finding new angles and writing thought provoking content that reflects and drives awareness for our brand.
- Be collaborative and curious. Spend time with stakeholders across the business, with our partners, and with your peers at other companies. Be a journalist yourself and leverage those relationships to dig up new storylines or cultivate content that drives our story forward.
- Be global. Invest the energy required to amplify the Databricks story across all regions.
- Be customer obsessed. One of the best ways to tell our story is through the voice of our customers. They are transforming their industries on Databricks, and it’s up to this person to ensure we let the world know about it.
- Think BIG. We have all the ingredients for a world-class communications function – from our founding story, to our leadership and culture, our industry and technology, our unique business model, customers, and our incredible growth trajectory. These ingredients give us the opportunity to push the boundaries and do some amazing things – things that we want this person to live in constant pursuit of.
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
- Paid parental leave
- Family Planning
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Databricks is the data and AI company. Founded by the original creators of Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow, Databricks simplifies data and AI so data teams can collaborate and innovate faster. More than five thousand organizations worldwide —including Shell, Conde Nast and Regeneron — rely on Databricks as a unified platform for massive-scale data engineering, collaborative data science, full-lifecycle machine learning and business analytics. Venture-backed and headquartered in San Francisco (with offices around the globe) Databricks is on a mission to help data teams solve the world’s toughest problems. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-15