Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director of Global Health Advocacy #2021-2672
Senior Director of Global Health Advocacy
Research!America is the nation’s leading nonprofit membership alliance working to increase the national priority of medical and health research. The COVID-19 pandemic highlighted the urgent need for increased government and private sector investment in global health research and development. Global health threats have captured the public’s attention and highlighted the incredible potential of tools and strategies such as platform technologies, global clinical trial networks and manufacturing capacity. Sound federal and private sector investments in global health R&D can dramatically reduce the number of lives lost or compromised due to poverty-related neglected diseases (PRNDs).
In this role, you will report to the Vice President of Policy and Advocacy and lead a global health advocacy and policy effort supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. You will supervise two full-time program staff and a research fellow and be supported by additional outside vendors and partners. Your team’s initial focus will be gaining a better understanding of the volume and nature of U.S. investments in global health R&D, and then working to grow and diversify it (from sources other than official development assistance). Your work will advance global health R&D efficiency, capacity, and progress-enhancing vehicles including global clinical trial networks, platform technologies, and public-private partnerships.
Your work will spur new partnerships and increase coordination and collaboration across USG funders of global health R&D. In this role you will leverage the core organizational strengths of Research!America including communications messaging, convening, engaging with decisionmakers, collaborating on advocacy efforts, and embracing uncertainty. You will be taking immediate action, while building the foundation for ongoing Global health R&D investment growth.
- Implement and evaluate strategies and tactics that achieve grant deliverables. Plan and oversee the execution of high-level convenings, including meetings with key congressional and Administration staff. Advance strategic advocacy strategies.
- Serve as the primary contact with the program officer of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Oversee the timely completion of grant administration requirements, including all program and financial documents.
- Serve as the primary contact for global health R&D with NGOs, academic institutions, industry, and federal agencies.
- Hire and develop your team; supervise additional staff as needed.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of experience in a health policy-relevant congressional or federal government position. Strong understanding of the global health R&D funding landscape as well as the span of federal agencies currently or potentially involved in advancing global health R&D—including NIH, BARDA, Project BioShield, DoD, and others—is preferred.
- Significant project management and supervisory experience. Ability to independently manage multiple projects and anticipate deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience managing relationships with high-level boards of directors, corporate and academic leaders, elected and appointed officials, their staff, and other executives or opinion leaders.
- Experience managing a budget. Demonstrated budget management experience and accountability.
- Ability to travel 5% (minimal travel).
- Strong relationship builder. You bring out the best in others as you build trust and buy-in from both colleagues and funders alike.
- Champion for the mission. You understand the big picture and learn what is important to donors, members, and partners. You know what best serves the mission and can translate objectives into impact.
- Flexible and adaptable leader. You positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives. You can work independently without close oversight while also serving as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside of the organization. You easily shift gears, reprioritize, and stay focused on key priorities.
- Problem solver. You are a critical thinker. You are hands-on, ask questions, and come up to speed quickly. You work with a sense of urgency and dive in without being asked.
- Comfortable with change. You have an entrepreneurial spirit. You seize opportunities in challenges. You are comfortable with ambiguity.
- Collaborative workstyle. You share information, coordinate effectively, and execute your piece while working well across teams. You work cooperatively, seek out relevant information, decide the appropriate steps, and facilitate to get the desired results.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- Your work will save millions of lives and improve the quality of life for everyone on the planet.
- You will be joining a remarkable team of dedicated and highly collaborative professionals. This is a stable, well-run, well-governed organization with deep and trusting relationships and an impeccable reputation for results.
- We regularly pursue and achieve bold goals. Here, no great idea ever goes un-explored. Our team is small, lean, and mighty. We see opportunities, rise to the occasion, and get the job done.
Research!America is a nonprofit medical and health research advocacy alliance that advocates for science, discovery, and innovation to achieve better health for all. We increase public and policymaker awareness of the health and economic benefits of medical research & development and build a strong base of citizen support for more research and innovation. Together with our member organizations that represent a vast array of medical, health, and scientific fields and sectors, our goals are: (1) Achieve funding for medical and health research from the public and private sectors at a level warranted by scientific opportunity and supported by public opinion. (2) Better inform the public of the benefits of medical and health research and the public and private sector institutions that perform research. (3) Motivate the public to actively support medical and health research and the complementary sciences that make advances possible. (4) Promote and empower a more active public and political life by individual members of the research community on behalf of medical and health research, public health, and science overall. We achieve these goals through:
- Advocacy. We advocate for strong funding and policies that support the advancement of medical, health, and scientific research & development. We encourage our member organizations, their employees, their individual members, and other stakeholders to do the same.
- Leadership. We provide leadership to help ensure robust increased federal funding for the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and the National Science Foundation. We work to ensure the Food and Drug Administration receives the resources it needs. We promote a federal policy and regulatory environment conducive to responsible, fast-paced, medical, and public health progress.
- Outreach. We provide advocates across the nation with partnership opportunities and advocacy tools as well as targeted messaging and other resources to build a unified voice for research. We facilitate outreach to elected officials, news media, business leaders, colleagues, and local communities.
- Public sentiment. We gauge Americans’ attitudes toward medical, health, and scientific research through commissioned public opinion surveys and use this data to make the case to policymakers for funding and policies to advance medical progress.
- Public education. We produce reports, infographics, fact sheets, position pieces, and other publications to raise awareness about research issues, promote the importance of investment in research, and foster effective collaboration among the nation’s government, industry, academic, and philanthropic research sectors.
Email your resume to Bob Corlett at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research!America – Sr Dir Global Health Advocacy #2021-2672 SA” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Job responsibilities are similar to the following positions: Director/VP, Advocacy, Legislative Director, Director/VP, Government Relations, Senior Policy Advisor, Director/VP, Government Affairs.
Please note: our practice is to not disclose the salary ranges our clients would consider. Any salary information included in this posting was estimated without our input.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended an evidence-based approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history. You can learn more about our actions on our blog.
Job posted: 2022-01-02