Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director, Global Policy Communications
This role is responsible for partnering with the Global Policy, Advocacy & Government Affairs team to develop a comprehensive global policy and advocacy Communications strategy aligned with key internal business partner strategies, on a wide array of issues at the intersection of public policy, pricing and access, health equity, and the ongoing transformation of the pharmaceutical industry.
In this role, this leader will be accountable for building strong internal relationships with key partners and for monitoring and responding to healthcare pricing, access and policy trends. Additional priorities include serving as the strategic communications partner to the Global Value, Access & Payment (VAP) and Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) team and supporting and managing engagements aligned with enterprise goals in the service of BMS.
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Provide ongoing counsel and thought partnership on pricing, access and policy to the company’s senior leaders to best position BMS in new and growing markets to achieve our business priorities. Proactively seek new opportunities to broaden and deepen stakeholder engagement through media relations, multimedia, social media and events.
- Enable BMS to have a leading voice and role in defining healthcare policy around the world by executing strategies and tactics to address policymakers and public sector institutions that present both opportunities and challenges to BMS. (e.g., develop proactive campaign strategies to educate policy makers and users on key issues that are tailored for execution in the US, EU/International markets and at global level).
- Build and manage relationships globally starting with key communications officials and organizations that are influential and impact policy, governments and other relevant stakeholders.
- Engage with communications departments at key trade associations to assert BMS’ perspective, share key company initiatives as part of reputational/thought leadership efforts, and stay current about industry communications initiatives.
- Partner with Global Policy, Advocacy & Government Affairs teams to identify and focus on communication targets, including policy stakeholders at US/Federal level, pan-EU level (Brussels) and in global health (Geneva/New York).
- Partner with Global Value, Access & Payment (VAP) and Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) to prepare for pricing, access and policy issues relating to product launches and government payer mix, and lead communications and public affairs approaches accordingly.
- Increase visibility of our engagement on policy issues by creating communications plans and advocacy campaigns to best position policy tools such as white papers, research and presentations. Lead the development of strategic communication tools including online commentary, one-pagers, infographics and leverage digital channels (e.g., new BMS EU digital policy advocacy channels created in support of EU legislative lobbying).
- Track global pricing, access and policy news drivers and successfully create and execute crisis communications and risk mitigation plans to enable constructive engagement with policymakers and other stakeholders globally for the purpose of influencing public policy that affects the pharmaceutical industry and BMS’ interests.
- Translate complex legal, policy and pricing/access issues into written and verbal communications, all while understanding how to work effectively in a global, regulated matrix organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, political science or equivalent degree is required.
- Fifteen plus (15+) years of experience in public affairs or crisis communications.
- Expertise developing corporate communications plans aligning internal, external, and stakeholder communications against business priorities.
- Proven performance managing communications in crisis situations, including creating clear directives and follow-through.
- Deep understanding of US Healthcare and global policy landscape, as well as pricing/access issues.
- Previous experience working for a matrixed, global company. Healthcare industry preferred.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-02