Senior Director, Government Affairs
Senior Director, Government Affairs (21008914)
Senior Director, Government Affairs
The Senior Director, Government Affairs will proactively develop positive relationships with all relevant local, state, and federal stakeholders in order to share Chipotle’s purpose to Cultivate a Better World and to ensure Chipotle’s ability to accomplish its business goals. This individual will be responsible for identifying trends that will shape public policy discourse and create and implement a strategy to promote Chipotle’s interests in response to those trends as well as translate policy implications in support of the legal, people experience and communications teams. This individual will also provide overall strategic direction by analyzing public policy proposals for their impact on Chipotle and its stakeholders and recommending Chipotle engagement, if required. Office in Washington, DC, Newport Beach, CA, or Columbus, Ohio tbd.
- Create and implement a strategy to promote Chipotle’s interests that is based on the analysis of legislation, material regulations, and other public policy proposals and trends relating to employment, food safety, construction, privacy, tax and other areas impacting our operations and employees.
- If requested, implement Chipotle PAC and plan donation outreach.
- Represent Chipotle’s policy positions and initiatives with internal and external groups, including engagement with policymakers to discuss company positions; advancing the company’s position at industry and legislative events; making presentations at relevant conferences and panels; and discussing key emerging issues or pending legislation with external stakeholders.
- Relationship building and influence of key local, state, and federal officials as it pertains to issues and legislation that could affect Chipotle.
- Actively participate in national associations (e.g., National Restaurant Association) to build partnerships with industry organization experts and other food service companies.
- Identify, track and analyze policies, material regulations and legislation relating to employment, food safety and other areas that impact our operations, as well as trends relevant to Chipotle’s public policy concerns to facilitate decision making related to internal policy decisions, advocacy and communications.
- Engage policy thought leaders on topics of importance to Chipotle and leverage Chipotle’s proprietary data to inform analyses and develop unique insights.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to support operational excellence, policy creation and employee development in support of compliance with employment legislation, regulations and other public policies.
- Accurate and timely preparation and submission of any reports required by local, state or federal laws relating to the Government Affairs function or activities.
- Coordinate with Chipotle Compliance, People Experience and other internal functions as new regulations or laws that might impact Chipotle’s business are introduced.
- Drive and oversee the selection and performance of external consultants; managing the request for proposal process; negotiating contract and service terms; and leading the evaluation of consultant performance in terms of contract agreements and compliance with company policy.
- Develop and implement strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged Government Affairs function, either externally or internally, by diagnosing capability gaps, recruiting, selecting, and developing talent.
- Regular travel to D.C. and state capitols to visit with legislative officials.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science or related field
- 10+ years of experience managing projects or campaigns in politics, public affairs with a minimum of 5 years direct supervisory experience, combined with private sector experience managing government affairs function
- Experience as a dynamic leader with strong strategic and organizational skills that is adaptable to fast-paced environments
- Experience designing and implementing coherent company strategy that addresses public policy trends that impact the company and its stakeholders
- Experience preparing lobbying reports required by federal and state laws; experience setting up a PAC and managing administrative tasks related to it, including donation solicitation strategy
- Strong communication skills with the ability to translate policy analysis for stakeholders and collaborate across the organization
- Must have the ability to build effective relationship and influence skills key external and internal stakeholders
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Previous experience with Government Relations and Lobbying with federal, state and local governments
- Previous experience building a new organization and establishing its process, procedures and practices
WHO WE ARE
Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (NYSE: CMG) is cultivating a better world by serving responsibly sourced, classically cooked, real food with wholesome ingredients without artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Chipotle had over 2,750 restaurants as of June 30, 2020, in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Germany and is the only restaurant company of its size that owns and operates all its restaurants. With more than 91,000 employees passionate about providing a great guest experience, Chipotle is a longtime leader and innovator in the food industry. Chipotle is committed to making its food more accessible to everyone while continuing to be a brand with a demonstrated purpose as it leads the way in digital, technology and sustainable business practices. Steve Ells, founder and former executive chairman, first opened Chipotle with a single restaurant in Denver, Colorado in 1993. For more information or to place an order online, visit WWW.CHIPOTLE.COM.
CULTIVATING A BETTER WORLD
Food served fast does not have to be a typical fast-food experience. Chipotle has always done things differently, both in and out of our restaurants. We are changing the face of fast food, starting conversations, and directly supporting efforts to shift the future of farming and food. We hope you’ll join us as we continue to learn, evolve, and shape what comes next on our mission to make better food accessible to everyone.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-17